Corrimal Beach 28/08/2011

davido

Decided to go out fishing again but this time brought my tackle box with all the goodies and a mate.

Started out at 3:30pm setting up the rods, 10' on 15lb, 12' on 20lb with 30lb lead both rods with 1/0 baitholder, 6'6" on 6lb and size 4 baitholder. Decided to use just prawns again today and i started off with the smaller rod while my mate used the 12' rod. Went into the water around up to my knees constantly casting and slowly retrieving. Around 4:30 got my first hook up, manage to score a PB flatty at 38cm on the light rod. Was great fun bringing it in. My mate scored a hookup around 1min after i brought mine up. He ended up with his first fish in 10years with a 37cm flatty. I started to brag abit about having a BIGGER fish.

Around 5:00 i switched rods to the 10' baited up and casted out. A few mins later i saw some kids come by with their surf boards and started surfing close by and little by little came right under my friends line. I got a fair bit annoyed. But luckily their dad came by and told them off and took them away, my friend was about to go off at them.

So around 6:00 i was reeling in slowly and felt my line going abit heavy then all of a sudden BAM hooked up, I was going "holy crap this feels heavy." Fought it for a few good minutes before it submitted defeat. Brought it up and measured it at 45cm, just under my PB by 1cm. Felt a bit heavier than the last Sambo I caught. Casted out 1 more time before a big wave came in all the way and washed up onto our gear. Ended up losing a fair bit of bait and my knife, saved the fish but didnt grab the gear quick enough before the wave hit. A bit worried about losing the knife, went looking everywhere for it with the light but i guess it got washed into the sea. If anyone goes to fish near the surfclub at corrimal, be aware of a knife with wooden handle. I hope no one hurts themselves on it, may have a look for it tomorrow.

28082011066.jpg

First time gutting and scaling a flatty was interesting, gave them to my mate to cook up tomorrow for dinner and i took my sambo home :biggrin2:

Davido

Congratulations on the pb Davido and well done to your mate on his first fish for ten years. :thumbup:

Gotta watch out for those "freak" waves on the beach. At least you didn't lose the fish.

First time gutting and scaling a flatty was interesting, gave them to my mate to cook up tomorrow for dinner

You should try filleting the flathead Davido. They are one of the easiest fish to fillet and the best part is no gutting. Everyone I give fish to now insists on fillets. They don't like picking bones out.

I usually put a bit of lemon pepper on the fillets, coat with flour, then shallow fry. Simple and delicious!

Cheers

Peter

Congratulations on the pb Davido and well done to your mate on his first fish for ten years. :thumbup:

Gotta watch out for those "freak" waves on the beach. At least you didn't lose the fish.

You should try filleting the flathead Davido. They are one of the easiest fish to fillet and the best part is no gutting. Everyone I give fish to now insists on fillets. They don't like picking bones out.

I usually put a bit of lemon pepper on the fillets, coat with flour, then shallow fry. Simple and delicious!

Cheers

Peter

Yeah when the "Freak" wave hit, my sambo fell out of my bucket and into my hat. Made me run around chasing sea gulls thinking they stole it. Came back to realise it was in my hat. Had a bit of a laugh then.

Yeah I picked up a filleting knife after fishing, next flathead I get i will give filleting a go.

Welldone on the flatties and recatching salmon with your hat. Sound like fun filled afternoon. Did the flatties fall victim to plastic lures?

All on bait, using frozen prawns. One on size 4 hook and 1/0 hook (baitholder).