The Grass was definately GREENER

I had a great day out on the harbour today with Nathan and Ben chasing blackfish.

post-256-048149000 1314702883_thumb.jpg

post-256-030615800 1314702890_thumb.jpg

post-256-037823700 1314702893_thumb.jpg

post-256-039111500 1314702896_thumb.jpg

post-256-088343200 1314702886_thumb.jpg

Ben had called me earlier in the week and asked about a few spots and I suggested one that we had fished a few months ago without much success but with the water warming a little and the colour coming good I thought he might get a better result and that was the case indeed with Ben calling me and saying he had indeed got a few nice ones.

So with an early start with Nathan at my joint at 5.15 we headed off to meet Ben and a little sweetener was dropping Donna off at work at Hunters Hil saving her a fair bit of travelling time.

We arrived around 7am after stopping at Maccas for a quick brekky and the weather looked great with a light SE wind and rising tide.I was amazed to see all the rocks green and covered with weed :yahoo: it didnt take long for Ben to catch a medium fish and then I got a cracker over 40cms then it just went quiet for hours with not even one down and we had thoughts of moving to another spot but I suggested we hang out for the low tide and see what happened and what a good move that proved to be with downs galore and Nathan scoring his first ,second and sixth blackfish and even an upgrade at the end on his first ever try at the dark art :thumbup: .It was a pleasure fishing along side Ben again and a true gentleman to boot.

We had met previously at Lambeth Park and it was good to meet up for a fish again. Nathan took to blackfishing a little apprehensively at first but once the first fish was hooked...so was he !

We had a nice visit by two very friendly fisheries officers who checked our healthy catch and were happy that all was in order with sizes and our licences and Ben even caught a nice one while they watched us.

post-256-035344300 1314702872_thumb.jpg

post-256-059434800 1314702875_thumb.jpg

post-256-050892800 1314702880_thumb.jpg

We fished till 4 pm leaving them biting and even picked Donna up again and drove her back home.

Thanks for a top day out fellas and hope the 3 of us can get together for another fine session like that again in the near future

wow stewy thats a top effort! i fished that spot only a month or so ago for about 1 1/2 hours and only got 1 down and dropped it! the rocks were not covered in green like that though. It is amazing how fast the weed is growing - Stewy do you remember how I told you about someone had completely raped and pillaged and scraped every scrap of weed from that spot nearby? well I went back a month ago and there was plenty of beautiful long weed, and that was only about a month after we fished together.

great result.

pete.

Well done.

Any chance in sending me a message with the area you are fishing or some other areas in the harbour to fish.

I am in Bondi and dont have many blackfish options when there is a swell.

Well done once again.

Cobba

Looks like very slippery rocks there guys but well done, some nice crackers.

Cheers cg.

George,

If you have a close look at my footwear I am wearing spiked boots which are awesome on the slippery stuff and made of heavy rubber and neoprene help keep your feet protected and safe from the cold.One down side is when you take them off your feet stink all the way home :074: I think Donnas nostrils went into melt down mode on the way home even though I sprayed the auto cologne all over the place :05:

Cheers Stewy

wow stewy thats a top effort! i fished that spot only a month or so ago for about 1 1/2 hours and only got 1 down and dropped it! the rocks were not covered in green like that though. It is amazing how fast the weed is growing - Stewy do you remember how I told you about someone had completely raped and pillaged and scraped every scrap of weed from that spot nearby? well I went back a month ago and there was plenty of beautiful long weed, and that was only about a month after we fished together.

great result.

pete.

We should get together again soon Pete and get stuck into em :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

Fisheries have/need a utility belt?

They had a range of things on their belt and I suppose capsicum spray might be needed at times :biggrin2: the gentleman was sure a big boy :1yikes:

Cheers Stewy.

p.s they were very very nice to us and new straight away we were all good and they commented on the plastic measuring tapes shrinking over time and they infact had a large steel ruler for their measurements,food for thought when a fish is close to the legal size allowable by Fisheries.

nice report stew. I can still smell your feet!!!!! has donna let you in the house yet???? Thanks for the top day out.

Im gonna tuck into those fillets tonight, looking forward to it.

George,

If you have a close look at my footwear I am wearing spiked boots which are awesome on the slippery stuff and made of heavy rubber and neoprene help keep your feet protected and safe from the cold.One down side is when you take them off your feet stink all the way home :074: I think Donnas nostrils went into melt down mode on the way home even though I sprayed the auto cologne all over the place :05:

Cheers Stewy

Where did you get your shoes mate? I had a tumble on slippery rocks last week even tho I was wearing shoes with strong rubber spikes. Do any of the tackle shops sell ready-to-go rockfishing shoes these days? My local store still sells the same old rock plates that have been around for 50 years. They don't fit modern day running shoes as the soles these days are very thick and the bolts are consequently too short. Also the nuts used to always fall off. Is there anything else available these days apart form the old plates?

Where did you get your shoes mate? I had a tumble on slippery rocks last week even tho I was wearing shoes with strong rubber spikes. Do any of the tackle shops sell ready-to-go rockfishing shoes these days? My local store still sells the same old rock plates that have been around for 50 years. They don't fit modern day running shoes as the soles these days are very thick and the bolts are consequently too short. Also the nuts used to always fall off. Is there anything else available these days apart form the old plates?

BCF have them and they are great for rockfishing and even walking on uneven ground.

I buy a new set every few years as it isnt worth the effort to put screws into the soles when the spikes get worn down.

Cheers Stewy

Nice catch there my dad caught a 47cm model the other day from Sutherland. Any chance in getting a PM where i can get weed from Sydney harbour and where to fish for them?

Cheers Joe :1fishing1:

Its everywhere Joe you cant miss it and where the weed is the blackfish are.

Cheers Stewy

wow great catch there stewy and good to see fisheries out and about :thumbup: , ive always wanted to try black fishing but the rig looks complicated :unsure: , i might come see you for a 1 on 1 at the social coming up :D

cheers paul

The rig is simple Paul and I would be happy to take you on a blackfish sojourn if you like.

Cheers Stewy

i dont like the boot the style at all, i bought a set of ice cleats that you slip over any shoe they are that grippy on any surface plus ya not wearing bloody boots, if ya want i can check what brand they are :biggrin2:

Are you allowed to use the weed that is growing on the rocks there?

Someone told me that you can't "gather" within Sydney harbour.

Only asking because I want to have a go for them tomorrow.

P.s went for a walk down there yesterday and saw some people getting set up. I think I recognized them from this site. If it was how did you go?

Cheers

Michael

i dont like the boot the style at all, i bought a set of ice cleats that you slip over any shoe they are that grippy on any surface plus ya not wearing bloody boots, if ya want i can check what brand they are :biggrin2:

Thanks mate that would be helpful. Are they boots the ones Stewy mentioned? I'll go check them out anyway.

cheers

Greg

Stewy that is a nice haul of fish. I have fished that spot with Royce many a times and have not seen the weed grow like that there before. Is it long enough to fish with?

I have always done better there on the last of the ron out tide

With all the pictures you and Ray are posting it is making me very itchy for a fish.

all the best

gav

Stewy that is a nice haul of fish. I have fished that spot with Royce many a times and have not seen the weed grow like that there before. Is it long enough to fish with?

I have always done better there on the last of the ron out tide

With all the pictures you and Ray are posting it is making me very itchy for a fish.

all the best

gav

The weed isnt long enough but once added to water it will join together to make a great bait and the blackies just smash it.

Cheers Stewy