Bate Bay Snapper 3rd September

mark_s

Fished Bate Bay today for one nice snapper. Dropped another one which felt a little bigger. Was a slow day, only had 2 runs all morning. Jackets were attacking the gear when on top of the reef, but I didn't lose anything to them.

Sorry for the pic quality. The wife was having a party when I got home so haven't had a chance to take a nice picture or measure it properly. I think its just over 50cms but will measure it up tomorrow.

It came up 49cms today, but tasted great.

A bit more detail on yesterday, my original plan was to head down to the hump but the forecast had the swell picking up during the day so I thought I would stick closer to home as I have had some tough conditions the last few trips. Instead I drfited the reefs at the north of bate bay throwing soft plastics. A school of fish kept showing up on one particular reef so I knew that if I gave it long enough I would pick something up. Was a good day all in all (and in hindsight the conditions were good enough to head down to the hump), but who can complain when over the course of the day you see whales, pods of dolphins, an albatross and a turtle plus pick up a nice fish for the table.

One thing I am learning about fishing soft plastics is you don't get many pickers/throwbacks. IT seems to be an all or nothing bet.