humminbird sounder

Morgs84

G'day Raiders,

Having some issues with a humminbird dx250 sounder that came with a boat i recently picked up

it doesnt work when travelling over about 8 knots and when im going slow or drifting the following happens

sometimes it will work perfectly then it will change and say im in 174 meters etc and not give a reading of the bottom and other times it will not give a depth but not pick up any image at all.

more often than not its giving the wrong / no reading at all

i've reset the settings ( although i dont think this is the problem because it goes from working well to not working without touching anything) and I did its self test function and it says everything is normal.

Can anyone shed any light on where the problem might be. I'm open to any suggestion,

Cheers guys

Morgs

I think the problem you are having is related to the transducer position. I would suspect that the transducer maybe located too high and is getting air bubbles between the transducer and the water. Check on the Hummingbird web site the correct arrangement for the transducer.

I think the problem you are having is related to the transducer position. I would suspect that the transducer maybe located too high and is getting air bubbles between the transducer and the water. Check on the Hummingbird web site the correct arrangement for the transducer.

I agree with BFB the correct position of the transducer is crucial.

I also I recomend a strip of soft rubber under the transducer bracket then see if theres any movement in the bracket once its all secured if so a drop of sikaflex to hold it steady but dont let the sikaflex prevent the bracket from releasing if it needs too, they are hard treplacementsceI'mts, Im not suvibrationration is a common problem with sounders but it certainly mdifferencefernce to mine, at about 10 knots I had that much color (noise) on the screen it was useless now its clear at 20knots (nchoppy chopy water of course)

Morgs I have a 250DX. Mine works OK except between 5 - 12 knots I get a faulse fish reading , ie , fish are showing on the screen but as soon as I stop they dissapear from the screen.

I suspect this is being caused by either air bubbles or turbulance around the tranducer.

I had a look at the Hummingbird web site which I found rather useless , the 250 is not even listed.

As others have said , it is most likely the position of the tranducer. This could be either the depth or angle or a combination of both.

I checked the user manual which confirmed this but also they mention to check the depth range. It is best this be set on Auto , not manual.

The sensitivy is also worth checking.

Attached are some photo's that may be of interest.

The bottom of the transducer mounted approx 20mm below the bottom of the boat & is leval. I think tilting it forward a few degrees may be a better position

Geoff

post-731-064414100 1315259922_thumb.jpg

post-731-015412400 1315259950_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys,

My transducer is sitting a few millimetres. Above the bottom of the hull , from your info i reckon this could be the problem

Thanks for the photos geoff, i will try and reposition to match your postion. ( i agree the humminbird website is pretty ordinary)

Will be taking it out on the weekend, ill let you guys know if i have any luck

Thanks again

Morgs