Port Hacking 8 Sep 11

JET01

Pushed off in the Gravyak from Wally's Wharf this morning a few hours after the high tide.

Having the future inlaws around for dinner tomorrow night so needed to bag a feed.

Noticed a truck load of Luderick around the jetties in Burraneer Bay but none seem too interested in my any of plastics that i threw out there so i moved on.

Trolled a blade for a while through some moored boats then headed over to an interested little hole I'd found on google maps.

After about 20mins i'd dropped a few fish and put it down to my hook being too small.

Upped to a 3.5g 1/0 with a squidgy lobby in wasabi.

Great move. After about 3 casts the drag on my Stradic CI4 1000 was screaming. After a lengthy fight I pulled up a nice flatty. After a quick measurement, i put it in the live well on the yak and kept fishing.

A few casts later i was on again... this time 55cm.... another great fish... I put that in the live well too.

I couldn't believe it... I've never caught 2 fish over 50cm on the same day...

By this time my poor lobby was looking pretty worse for wear, but i thought... "one more cast can't hurt".

Bang on again... I thought this one was bigger... it ran harder and longer than the previous 2 and as i hadn't adjusted my drag since I caught the 65, i thought this was going to be a monster... the fight went for so long i had time to call a mate so he could hear the drag screaming !

To my surprise, it was only 60cm. But still a great fish...

shortly after i picked up another 43cm flatty but had a really unco moment when trying to get it into the live well, resulting in him getting released to fight another day.

It's normally my policy to release anything over 65cm, so i was pretty disappointed when i put it on the tape when i got home to realise i'd broken one of my golden rules.

Either way very happy after a great day on the water, and hopefully everyone else has a quiet month so i can win the COTM for a change.

post-12306-078728100 1315460919_thumb.jpg

post-12306-005896500 1315460964_thumb.jpg

post-12306-083530800 1315461006_thumb.jpg

Well done on achieving your goal. I'm sure the fresh feed will earn you extra brownie points from the future in laws.... and that of course means the :wife: won't mind you doing it next time they come over. You'll have to make sure they visit regularly :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Cam

I'm pretty lucky in that respect. If fact some would say blessed. I was thinking about selling the boat after I bought my yak. The minister talked me out it because the yak only has one seat and she likes to fish with me.

It's good to be the king ;)

Pushed off in the Gravyak from Wally's Wharf this morning a few hours after the high tide.

Having the future inlaws around for dinner tomorrow night so needed to bag a feed.

Noticed a truck load of Luderick around the jetties in Burraneer Bay but none seem too interested in my any of plastics that i threw out there so i moved on.

Trolled a blade for a while through some moored boats then headed over to an interested little hole I'd found on google maps.

After about 20mins i'd dropped a few fish and put it down to my hook being too small.

Upped to a 3.5g 1/0 with a squidgy lobby in wasabi.

Great move. After about 3 casts the drag on my Stradic CI4 1000 was screaming. After a lengthy fight I pulled up a nice flatty. After a quick measurement, i put it in the live well on the yak and kept fishing.

A few casts later i was on again... this time 55cm.... another great fish... I put that in the live well too.

I couldn't believe it... I've never caught 2 fish over 50cm on the same day...

By this time my poor lobby was looking pretty worse for wear, but i thought... "one more cast can't hurt".

Bang on again... I thought this one was bigger... it ran harder and longer than the previous 2 and as i hadn't adjusted my drag since I caught the 65, i thought this was going to be a monster... the fight went for so long i had time to call a mate so he could hear the drag screaming !

To my surprise, it was only 60cm. But still a great fish...

shortly after i picked up another 43cm flatty but had a really unco moment when trying to get it into the live well, resulting in him getting released to fight another day.

It's normally my policy to release anything over 65cm, so i was pretty disappointed when i put it on the tape when i got home to realise i'd broken one of my golden rules.

Either way very happy after a great day on the water, and hopefully everyone else has a quiet month so i can win the COTM for a change.

post-12306-078728100 1315460919_thumb.jpg

post-12306-005896500 1315460964_thumb.jpg

post-12306-083530800 1315461006_thumb.jpg

Nice fish mate!!! So wheres this little hole of yours???

I'm pretty lucky in that respect. If fact some would say blessed. I was thinking about selling the boat after I bought my yak. The minister talked me out it because the yak only has one seat and she likes to fish with me.

It's good to be the king ;)

How lucky are you......my :wife: endures my fishing obsession but won't even consider the option of a yak in addition to the boat despite my claims that yak trips would be shorter duration and keep me fit & healthy :biggrin2:

Great to see the flatties are back on the chew, now just need some good weather on the weekends so I can target them.

Great feed of Flatties there JET01. You're one of the lucky ones that has the choice of a yak fish or going out on a boat.

Which do you do more of nowadays? I've considered a yak too at times (getting fit while doing some fishing while bringing home a feed) but won't be able to face up to my kids if I ditch them when I go fishing ...

If I'm fishing alone. I'm always in the yak. I only take the boat out when I need to take someone with me.

Yaks are great. A one off cost, no rego, no insurance, no maintenance, stuff all cleaning.

I'd sell my boat in a second if I could.

Anyone want a nomad 469 merc 50 two stroke with under 80 hours on it get in touch ;)

Edited by JET01

• 2 weeks later...