No More Pig Hooks?

Hooch

Apparently Mustad have stopped making those brown triple strength thingos, and all the local tackle shops only have Hayabusa's. Great hooks but pretty pricey to be snagging up on cunji. Anyone know any suitable cheaper hooks?

You mean the Mustad 542?? :1yikes: I wondered why I haven't found many recently. I've been using the mustad 540 which is still ok, but it will bend on good fish. I've also give the duratin Mustad Tarpon hooks a go, but the 542 is better for hookups, they're always straight through the corner of the mouth.

Anyway as a subsitute, the Youvella viking hooks are pretty good. Most tackle shops will steer you away from them, but I'm yet to break one. But other then them, I steer well away of chem sharpened hooks for pigs.

Be advised Bashir a little birdy tells me the Mustad 540 is in its last days also. Pity it's one of the most versatile hooks around & being bronzed it rusts out quickly if left in a fish & a couple hits with a file or stone & they are razor sharp.

I steer away from chemical sharpen hooks for all bait fishing. :1naughty:

:05:

Probably because they have brought out a chemically sharpened range of the 540.

I guess I should stock up in a big way then.

I'm the same, I find chem sharpened hooks aren't as good for bait fishing, they lose their points quickly, even through baiting up a few times and they are harder to sharpen.

• 2 weeks later...