Kings and Whales

finin

Left the Harbour around 700am yesterday morning. No cloud, little bit of wind and .5m swell SSE. Headed to our little spot and spotted a few whales on the way out. Decided to settle when a huge red cloud appeared on the sounder in 70M, promptly set the boat and dropped the jigs and after 5 winds up....straight on first fish was a nice bonnie of about 2kg, bled him and into the ice.

Dropped again and straight onto a nice fat 70cm king, bled and iced the gold jig was on fire! By now we had moved of the mark as the wind had picked up to about 10 knots nnw right on the tide change. Tracked back up to the mark found the cloud and dropped again... bang straight on, felt like a bigger fish and i thought to myself " i love kingies " but soon the love was lost for some stupid reason i dropped my rod tip and the fish lived to fight another day. Managed to get a few hits but no takers, once again back to the mark. The kings were holding solid which was good for us, we dropped again and double hookup. Smiles and laughs between us we continued the fight and were rudely interupted by a whale breaching next to us about 7 meters away. Him and his M8 then decided to hang around the boat for the next 2hrs. With our minds returning to the fish after what we had seen we then boated 75 and 80cm kings!

We soon had them bled and on ice and decided to kick back contented smiles on all. I had forgotten how these fish fight and how good they are to catch. Sitting back we were once again joined by these 2 whales who were quite happy to play near the boat much to our astonishment i wont go into detail about their antics otherwise id be here all day. Amazing curious creatures. Got some greatshots on a m8s camera so ill post em when i get em.

Anyway the kingfest continued but it was a day of 3 or 4 drops before we had to move again, current was east-west wind up to 15kn NNW. Fish went off the bite around 1200pm. Used 15kg braid, 30kg leader, jigs were 200g, best colour was gold and anything blue.post-13466-054362700 1316045949_thumb.jpg