Lower Hawkesbury - Juno Point & Cowan Creek

helliconia

Been fishing this area for a while now and collecting great advice from fellow Raiders, so I figured I'd try putting it into practice. I'd optimistically bought myself a new Shimano TLD25 and matching 24kg rod a few weeks back vowing I'd find some fish worth the investment! Quietly vowing I should add since I doubted my ability to deliver :1prop:

Dropped the boat in at Appletree Bay and did the sprint up to Flint & Steel/West Head for some livies. Sprint cut short by the wind chop and cruiser wakes as the :wife: doesn't like getting slapped up and down at speed. Rest done at 12 knots and I am reminded why I want to re-balance boat as she rides with her nose high in the air (the boat not the missus).

We stop at one of the little coves behind West Head and I start berleying with soggy mashed bread. Yakka's threaten to hijack my boat trying to follow berley trail to its source. Got 4 in no time, while the partner scored a 40cm pike bottom bashing. All end up in the livie tank.

Up anchor and head to Juno Point. Tried to find the hole off the point with no luck and the tide was ripping out too fast for my partner to hold bottom. She's not happy so I relocate behind the point to try and get in the eddie where its a bit calmer. Stayed for an hour, nothing on the little rods and the livie seemed suspiciously happy and calm the whole time like he knew I was in the wrong spot. This was the time I realised a small net makes catching livies in tanks much easier - discovered by not having one. Felt like I was herding cats for 15 mins before I could grab one!

Moved again, figured I'd give the north shore of Jerusalum Bay a go. Another hour and still nothing. Moved to the entrance to Pinta Bay (little bay on the south side of Jerusalem Bay) where I've sounded some nice ledges and drop offs in the past. 2 hours there produces nothing but pickers on the little rods. Finally moved to Waratah Bay for a bit for an hour, nothing again.

Back to the ramp, reversed the trailer in and the drive-on routine wouldn't work. 6 attempts in front of a crowd and starting to get a bit pissy and irritated. Noticed trailer not level to the water. Reposition trailer and it goes on first go :mad3:

On the good side, the weather was beautiful - was nice to be on the water without thermals for a change! Last livie was still kicking enthusiastically in the bait tank so I guess I'm doing that right too :tease:

Net result for the day was the realisation that the jewies in the Hawkesbury have nothing to fear from me :074:

Are there any reliable bait grounds for squid or yakkas in Cowan Creek or should I just stick to the West Head area?

squid, you mentioned pinta bay, has 3 moorings, if you go straight out of pinta as if heading out of jerusalem. straight across try for squid there.

Hawkesbury!!!

I gave the system up a while back after many many trips of big fat donut. But I know a bloke who's consistently getting fish there. So its probably not the spot, it's just me who couldn't find the hot spot.

Might give it ago again in the next couple weeks.

Tight line.

Yeah it can be hard to find the fish but I've done OK there in the past so I'll keep persisting.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Now to figure out squidding haha The learning curve just became a wall :thumbup:

Waldo are you talking about the north shore of Jerusalem Bay or the point east of the entrance to Jerusalem Bay?