Daiwa Caldia Kix

Blood Knot

One for tackle junkies:

Spent a bit of time ringing around most Sydney Daiwa Tournament Dealers this morning trying to find a Caldia to look at. Has anybody seen them around anywhere.

The July edition of Fishing World has an advertisement announcing that they are "here now" (but unfortunately does not specify where "here" is).

Interested to hear if any Fishraiders are trying to source them. I have found them on the net for round US $190 and am curious to know what a 2500 or 3000 size will retail for in Oz. (Expect around A$350 maybe)

John

Swoffa / Anyone

Any idea whats involved in purchasing tackle off the net. Realise I have to convert currency US$ to A$ plus add delivery costs of say ($15- 25) but not sure if any duty or import tax is involved.

Also has any one had problems with security issues or other problems with Jap tackle sites.

John

Thanks Wakd -

I found same info the other night and tried to work through a hypothetical purchase to see how it all panned out. Was troubled trying to find a table with a tarrif classification for sporting goods let alone fishing tackle.

Yeh - it does sound a bit random (and a bit vague and a bit confusing as well). Fortunately I am not talking megabucks so will dip my toes in the water and find out that way.

John

Howdy John

I've just got a 3000 Caldia Kix from PLAT (i've never been hit with any taxes), I havent seen them here yet. One word to describe it...WOW! It is increadibly smooth, as smooth as my Certate, and is built tough for plenty of abuse. If you're after a reel that can punch way above its weight, but don't want to fork out for a Certate, then definately check one of these babies out. I'm running mine on a 4-7kg Black Diamond with 14lb braid, it's a really well balaned outfit that I can cast all day on, yet its got some serious stopping power.

Cheers

Brent

Brent -

Thanks for the feedback on the Caldia, sounds like the product will match my expectations and the advertising blurb thats about.

Looking at putting one on a Bronzeback (7'7" - 10 to 17lb) I just got. Will string with 6Kg braid of some description, still tossing up between 2500 or 3000 size reel ?

John

For anyone interested -

I rang Daiwa on the way home from work on Friday. Apperently the latest shipment of gear including Caldia KIX will arrive in a week. So allowing time for distribution, probably wont see them in the tackle shops for a few weeks yet. They did not seem to know what rec/retail might be.

John

If the Caldia KIX is as smooth and as nice to use as the certate, then why is it nearly half the price of a Certate? Call me cynical but I don't think in the present time (or times past) you can get something for nothing...

53873[/snapback]

Read about this from tackle tour: the kix is made in thailand and has a plastic rotor and side cover or something along those lines. Your are deadset correct. Check it out before you buy one..... but those guys on the TT forum know their stuff so i dont think they were telling a lie by any means.

I said it was as smooth as my Certate, not as nice to use. It has some plastic componentry and less ball bearings hence it is a hell of alot cheaper. I'm certainly not saying that I like this reel as much as my Certate, I'm saying that if you dont have the cash for a Certate, then this is a good option as it has the same digi-gear etc as the Certate (ie it is an affordable watered-down Certate). If you have the cash for a Certate why would you buy a Caldia Kix?

Cheers

Brent

• 2 weeks later...
I said it was as smooth as my Certate, not as nice to use.  It has some plastic componentry and less ball bearings hence it is a hell of alot cheaper.  I'm certainly not saying that I like this reel as much as my Certate, I'm saying that if you dont have the cash for a Certate, then this is a good option as it has the same digi-gear etc as the Certate (ie it is an affordable watered-down Certate).  If you have the cash for a Certate why would you buy a Caldia Kix?

Cheers

Brent

54037[/snapback]

Hi there,

Thinking about buying the Caldia, and wondered if you could tell me what the drag is like, and how it compares with the Certate, or any other reel?

Thanks, Danny.