Want to get into plastics

Howdoweplaythis

Hey everyone,

I wanted to start getting into soft plastics. I heard flathead are the easiest species to start off with so i'll try my luck with those.

Just wanted to ask which plastics you would recommend for a complete beginner (i read that the 'paddle tail' style ones are best?) and the easiest kind of retrieve to use?

Also, how heavy a jighead should i use? I'll probably start out fishing Narrabeen Lake.

And one more thing. I'm currently using a 2-4kg fibreglass rod. It's a little heavier and not as thin and 'whippy' as other rods i've seen people use with plastics. But it's light enough for me to flick fairly quickly. Will it work?

Thanks

How serious are you about getting into plastics?

And yes Narrabeen Lake is a good place to start and Flatties will be the main species followed by flounder and possibly bream,

as for your setup you will get away with fibreglass but remember when you try to work the lure there will be a delay as the fibreglass rods are flimsy where-as a graphite rod is stiff so as you move your rod it will move the lure.

try to keep your weight as light as possible to start i would probably try using 3-4" Minnow Grups pumpkinseed is a favourite amoughst most plastic fishos.

they are shaped like a tadpole and you do not have to work them too hard as the tail will do most of the work for you when you are retrieving.

I have not fished plastics for a while but as far as weight is concerned id try to stick with as light as possible but come prepared with a few different weight's and adjust according to conditions and you will be fine.

how heavy is your line???

Ill try to help as much as I can so if you want send me a pm and ill try answer as much as I can,

Regards,

Nathan

hey mate i have caught most of my flathead in narrabeen lake on 3 or 4inch nuclear chicken minnows.

If you have a kayak/boat then anchor up near the sand bank point which is near jamieson park i think.

1/6 oz jighead will be fine for the depth here, just make sure it hits the bottom and give the rod one or two fast lifts, retrieving back to boat.

Good luck!

Mark

It's the only way i fish on most of my trips now,soft plastics are great on so many species from flathead , trevally ,bream right through to kingies.The best setup is always fish as light as the condition will allow.So for the lakes and shallow bay waters ( 2-4mtrs ) a good soft plastcs rod 7'2" long and 2500 reel ( my shimano/catana combo was only $99 )this typical setup is crucial I have found ,to catching and not catching fish.Before my mate Pete got hold of me and steered me in the right direction i was using a slightly thicker butt rod similar in length to my current plastics rod but it just didn't feel the same as it was a little too heavy.I have my reel loaded with 6lb braid and use 2mtrs of 6lb japanese flourocarbon leader ( $25 for approx 70mtrs ).I mainly use Gulp 4" worms as they have the little tail that works well when retrieved at low and high speeds , some good flavours like watermelon and pumpkinseed are my favourites and i always use strong owner jig heads ( lighter the better ),check out my brother in law "big Kev" from Tuncurry catching his 1st Trevally in Botany Bay using a similar setup as described here .Good Luck champ

http://www.youtube.com/user/flickinlures?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/IuGZtozxaCI

Thanks for the replies.

I will be using 6lb fireline. I don't have a boat.

With the grubs, what is the best retrieve? Also, other people have recommended the gulp pogy or shaky shad for flatheads. What do you guys think of those for a beginner?

Im assuming 1/6 ounce would be appropriate for 'calm' conditions? Would 1/4 ounces be more appropriate if there is a little current and wind?

hi

yes both coloured gulps can be used for salt water..

if you fish of a boat or kayak then 1/8th up to 5m is great, i use this up to 15 knots while drifting with a sea anchor in my hobie.

if landbased 1/6th will cast further but it might not tempt a bream.

start with 4inch turtleback worms, they do great things.

if you want a cheap setup the catanas/raiders and a 1000 size reel is great to start. with 4lb fireline/braid.

i use size 1000 because i can flick all day and not get a tired wrist.

lowest 8lb for flatheads if your targeting them and you may even tempt a bream.

i fish 2m of 6lb leaders for everything in botany bay, make sure its flurocarbon, i use the brand rock FC 100m for like 16bucks (campsie tackle) and that is REALLY cheap usually its $20-25

Edited by cjchen

Hit the lake this arvo (have been excited about it all week)

Fished the channel in front of the caravan park for an hour or so for nothing.

Then moved to the mouth of the lake. They're dredging the lake at the moment (until December according to a local) so it's closed. I thought all the fish would be scared off by all the commotion and noise but i decided to try anyway. I had a cast off the rockwall and first cast i landed a nice 37cm flattie :D . It's not a spectacular fish by any means, but i was happy as all hell. Was taken on a 3" shaky shad in pumpkinseed. Tried around woolies bridge afterwards with the shaky shads and the minnow grubs for zilch.

2gv4rwg.jpg

Will be out again soon with the plastics! Thanks everyone for their help.

Edited by Howdoweplaythis

Then moved to the mouth of the lake. They're dredging the lake at the moment (until December according to a local) so it's closed. I thought all the fish would be scared off by all the commotion and noise but i decided to try anyway. I had a cast off the rockwall and first cast i landed a nice 37cm flattie :D . It's not a spectacular fish by any means, but i was happy as all hell. Was taken on a 3" shaky shad in pumpkinseed. Tried around woolies bridge afterwards with the shaky shads and the minnow grubs for zilch.

2gv4rwg.jpg

great work mate..its so good when you get a nice fish on plastics.

i normally use gulp minnows 4 inch in the chartreuse colour ..and they are dynamite mate always catch some decent fish on them.

my second favourite plastics are the squidy wrigglers..they have a long tail that has alot of action .i use either the bloodworm colour or the garry glitter color.i usually use a 1/8th sized jigg head

2gv4rwg.jpg

well done

Don't forget to look at the articles posted on fishraider - up top of page link says ARTICLES

CLICK HERE TO LOOK