wharf closures

Guest hawkesbass

Guest hawkesbass

Article in todays telegraph stating cabarita wharf will be fenced off and closed for fishing.This is going to happen and the 75 other wharfs in the harbour that fishers can still access to enjoy there pastime are under threat of the same thing happening the closure was brought about by too many complaints from comuters about rubbish,fish guts and frames on wharfs, empty bait packets and a lack of courtesy from anglers to passengers using the wharf.I am not a big user of wharfs to fish from but still fish them ocasionally and would like to continue to do so.This may be a wakeup call to all concerned to prevent more closures happening.

Honestly, I was expecting this to happen eventually,

The problem is that most of us do the right thing but its the handfull that dont care that are spoiling it for the rest of us,

All we can do is lead by example and continue to do the right thing and eventually only hope that the people that do the wrong thing get caught out,

Its sad to see this happenning but I can understand why they have to do things like this,

as you mentioned hopefully this is treated like a wake up call for the people that dont care!!!! to start caring!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Guest hawkesbass

Not all 75 are closing but it is a option that can be exercised in the future if peoples habits dont change as it costs time and money to keep wharfs and surrounding areas clean and maitained

What about McDonalds rubbish all over the place?

What about dog poo everywhere?

They gonna make dog walking illegal and fence of the big M?

It is sad that a minority are going to spoil it for others but that's society today, not many left that care for anyone but themselves and have no idea how to take responsibility for their own actions.

There's a power station up my way that has a cleaning crew that clean up at certain fishing spots and also have a big bin where people park their cars to fish, trying to encourage those to bin their trash afterwards. Got talking to the supervisor other week and she was saying that if it doesn't improve they may start locking gates and making it all non accessible to anyone. They don't have to waste their time cleaning mess but they do to make area tidy because of a few ring in grubs, the locals usually keep it clean.

Guest hawkesbass

Thanks beginner for the link did not know how to attach the link to post.i know it is only a few that wreck it for others that do the right thing but how many times do you go to a location and it looks like a tip even though there is bins neadby or at the location and rubbish still gets dumped on the ground or in the water

What about McDonalds rubbish all over the place?

What about dog poo everywhere?

They gonna make dog walking illegal and fence of the big M?

It is sad that a minority are going to spoil it for others but that's society today, not many left that care for anyone but themselves and have no idea how to take responsibility for their own actions.

There's a power station up my way that has a cleaning crew that clean up at certain fishing spots and also have a big bin where people park their cars to fish, trying to encourage those to bin their trash afterwards. Got talking to the supervisor other week and she was saying that if it doesn't improve they may start locking gates and making it all non accessible to anyone. They don't have to waste their time cleaning mess but they do to make area tidy because of a few ring in grubs, the locals usually keep it clean.

Kind of completely different scenarios there... This is talking about localised mess that is being caused by one specific group. Anti social behaviour like getting smashed, swearing and starting fights doesnt need to be tolerated at these spots. Its a shame but the small minority have ruined it for everyone...

Thanks beginner for the link did not know how to attach the link to post.i know it is only a few that wreck it for others that do the right thing but how many times do you go to a location and it looks like a tip even though there is bins neadby or at the location and rubbish still gets dumped on the ground or in the water

You know one of the things that really bothers me on top of this,

its people that after fishing have left over bait and leave it on the pier they cant even throw the bait into the water!!!!

I get upset just thinking about it, it almost turns me off fishing because if you are not careful you could either step on or sit on left over bait,

Regards,

Nathan

slap some heavy fines on these idiots and that will make everyone including me very happy !

guess that it is a real waste of taxpayer money and law enforcement staff to be dealing with what seems to just be people who are littering and being a public nuisance.

cheaper to lock up a place than to send in the police to sort out these relatively minor inconveniences when there are other more important crimes for the police to follow up on.

also, where's our fisheries money going ?! i have yet to run into a fisheries inspector ... maybe winter is too cold for them to be out and about checking licenses ?

Was only a matter of time! :1badmood::ranting2: Abbotsford will be next! Filthy dogs (sorry thats too kind and an insult to the canine world!) they will never learn, think they own the place do what they want with scant disregard for fellow anglers (WTF turf wars man this is not LA thanks or the bronx get real you wa%$^rs) and the public in general! Well its a wait and see game now folks!

Edited by luderick -angler

Kind of completely different scenarios there... This is talking about localised mess that is being caused by one specific group. Anti social behaviour like getting smashed, swearing and starting fights doesnt need to be tolerated at these spots. Its a shame but the small minority have ruined it for everyone...

Been to a 24hr Maccas after midnight?, large groups, drunks, trouble and rubbish strewn throughout carparks and streets and peoples lawns.

Again a minority BUT the fisherman isn't a large corporation so they don't get away with it.

But fishing rubbish is not nice either, it's a shame it may come to this but can you blame them for doing it?.

Been to a 24hr Maccas after midnight?, large groups, drunks, trouble and rubbish strewn throughout carparks and streets and peoples lawns.

Again a minority BUT the fisherman isn't a large corporation so they don't get away with it.

But fishing rubbish is not nice either, it's a shame it may come to this but can you blame them for doing it?.

Yeah but they cover the costs of employing their own security and cleaning. Rubbish in peoples lawns and stuff, sure a bit much, but that would be akin to banning the bait companies because people leave the bait packages around. You cant target the companies that manufacture the rubbish for something like this, you need to target the irresponsible people that do the wrong thing with it.

Yeah but they cover the costs of employing their own security and cleaning. Rubbish in peoples lawns and stuff, sure a bit much, but that would be akin to banning the bait companies because people leave the bait packages around. You cant target the companies that manufacture the rubbish for something like this, you need to target the irresponsible people that do the wrong thing with it.

Correct, target the ones that make the mess.

This is why locking a wharf isn't going to fix the problem, the ones that make the mess go elsewhere and make mess there and learn nothing.

Locking it up, nanny state or just another reason for those that make mess not to take responsibility for their actions? The latter I reckon.

Article in todays telegraph stating cabarita wharf will be fenced off and closed for fishing.This is going to happen and the 75 other wharfs in the harbour that fishers can still access to enjoy there pastime are under threat of the same thing happening the closure was brought about by too many complaints from comuters about rubbish,fish guts and frames on wharfs, empty bait packets and a lack of courtesy from anglers to passengers using the wharf.I am not a big user of wharfs to fish from but still fish them ocasionally and would like to continue to do so.This may be a wakeup call to all concerned to prevent more closures happening.

bound to happen, don't blame council's for doing so. there's too many dicks around ruining it for everybody else

You know one of the things that really bothers me on top of this,

its people that after fishing have left over bait and leave it on the pier they cant even throw the bait into the water!!!!

I get upset just thinking about it, it almost turns me off fishing because if you are not careful you could either step on or sit on left over bait,

Regards,

Nathan

couldn't agree more, finding half packs of pilchards and prawns or dead fish left lying around is absolutely disgraceful, no wonder they are locking these places up. What really bugs me is when you go to land based game ledges, its a discgrace but even worse 90% of the guys that go are dedicated fisho's, not just yobs going to a wharf with a stack of beers for something to do. Alot of the guys on the ledges are so dedicated, hiking in with all their gear you would think they would know better than to leave crap everywhere.

Hi Guys, This was always going to happen. Unfortunately i dont think this problem is just a minority. This is a big issue with all types of anglers, at present they are just looking at the wharf's. The first wharf could be the start for a avalanche of closures. But as discussed on this blog it could be re-aimed. And aimed at different types of fishing areas such as cleaning tables, boat ramps, etc. This can not be blamed on the authorities. I am not saying anyone reading this forum is a culprit. But all of the fisherman's mentalities must change. How many times do you go to cleaning tables and they are filthy. How hard is it to grab a bucket of water and throw over the table. But this is to hard for some anglers or the attitude i left it as i found it. Is not good enough anymore. The kids pick up this attitude. I live at The Entrance on the Central Coast and have been amazed at the lack of LAZINESS of the people using the facilities, the local boat ramps cleaning table is a disgrace. Unfortunately it is not just visitors but everyone. Spend a bit of time down at that area. These attitudes must be changed urgently or i believe these closures will be made in time or they will gate some areas. Some of the area's facilities are not up to scratch in the wharves or boat ramps not enough bins, cleaning tables, etc . Has any one voiced these concerns to the press as they would have no issue's publicising Wharf closures, as we know. Yes as a collective we made need to be made more aware of our fishing fee's are being used.$$$$ Fishing is the biggest sport in Australia. Unfortunately we are still not given the recognition we deserve.

Well said Royce, it sickens me to death to see the state of the wharves, this minority group shite in there own nests, serves them right..........