Yammie rectifier not working

Little Hooker

Hey guys,

Took the boat out on the weekend and saw my volt meter flashing very high, 17v at one stage. My furuno volt meter comfirmed that too so i guess my rectifier/regulator is gone. Its a shame tho as my engine has only done 450 hrs i was expecting these electrical stuff to last much more :wacko:

Ive been quote $400 from my local dealer jus for the part but me beening me im searching somewhere cheaper. Has anyone brought genunie yammie parts from the states or from yamaha outboard forums or similar??

Be great if anyone can shed some of these experience in this matter.

TIA, LH

Hey guys,

Took the boat out on the weekend and saw my volt meter flashing very high, 17v at one stage. My furuno volt meter comfirmed that too so i guess my rectifier/regulator is gone. Its a shame tho as my engine has only done 450 hrs i was expecting these electrical stuff to last much more :wacko:

Ive been quote $400 from my local dealer jus for the part but me beening me im searching somewhere cheaper. Has anyone brought genunie yammie parts from the states or from yamaha outboard forums or similar??

Be great if anyone can shed some of these experience in this matter.

TIA, LH

Hi, Seems like a pretty common problem with the yammies.

Might be some help checking this thread out?

Yamaha overcharging.

hey aquaman,

Yeah i had searched FR and that thread did pop up which i had read through it. Ive have Pm Obey1 for more info but he hasnt replied to me yet. He didnt state if his motor was a 2 or 4 stroke so not sure if the rectifier is different to mine?? The bloke at the local dealer said that yammaha didnt release a 90hp in 4 stroke. So im tryin to search up more info about that.

Can anyone else help??

Thanks.

Just a suggestion, how about hooking up an external regulator such as on solar panel chargers? when a battery is overcharged it becomes a time bomb! the gasses given off will go BANG! very dangerous, it would be worth looking into a solution, not just covering up the problem.

• 1 month later...

Hey lads,

Jus following up my thread!

Parts finally arrivied after abit of shipping issues but ive installed the new regulator. Problem fixed and ready to :1fishing1:

post-6068-025710400 1320901210_thumb.jpg Hard to tell from this angle but the new regulator is much more beefy then the old model.

post-6068-078949100 1320901365_thumb.jpg Thank god that i didnt take it out after i realise it was over charging because you can see it started to heat up and melt!

See you out on the water :thumbup: