Blue Mountains fly fishing

cc118

Hi Raiders,

I had the opportunity to make a second trip to the Coxs river over the weekend. Conditions were to be perfect according to the weather forecast, over clouded and a slight drizzle. This time I planned to have an early start and make most of the day.

The next morning, I got to the river just after 9am and besides a couple of campers and off road bikes, I had the whole river to myself surprisingly. You would think being opening weekend, there would be more people out having a fish. The water was slightly discoloured from the recent rain which made sight fishing difficult, but certainly looked inviting.

post-13314-029827500 1317781304_thumb.jpg

The first run is long and shallow, and on a day like this I opt to use a dark green nymph. Casting my fly into the bubble lines, I worked my way up the run into a deeper pool. As I got to the end, the indicator went down without any hesitation and I was on to a solid fish. At first, I thought it was a rainbow as the fish took to the air several times during the fight, but when I had her at the bank, it was a healthy brown. She measured 38 cm. Although the Coxs river has a healthy population of rainbows, we do get the occasional brown which is always a treat to catch.

post-13314-090920300 1317781490_thumb.jpg

(Photos were taken from my blackberry, which actually turned out reasonably well).

I was careful to fight the fish away from the pool, bringing the fish downstream as not to disturb other fish that could potential lay in the pool. Sure enough, my very next cast into the same pool produced this little rainbow.

post-13314-077728400 1317781546_thumb.jpg

Moving to the next run, as you can see from the insert below, the water was moving a lot faster and access was not very easy with the dead trees along the bank. After several drifts, the indicator went down and I was on. The fish surfaced briefly and spat the hook. There’s a big puppy living down there.

post-13314-069315300 1317781565_thumb.jpg

I continued fishing that day catching several fish in the upper pools, and also dropping many as well. The fish ranged in size, both browns and rainbows. It certainly turned out to be an enjoyable day.

post-13314-043681300 1317781580_thumb.jpg

post-13314-021064200 1317781606_thumb.jpg

post-13314-057997900 1317781614_thumb.jpg

post-13314-053470500 1317781675_thumb.jpg

post-13314-002725100 1317781753_thumb.jpg

I constantly changed nymphs during the day for 2 reasons, 1. To see if there is a preferred pattern the fish favour on the day and 2. Provoke a strike. Sometimes you can get a fish to take you fly by simply changing your pattern. I started off with a dark green nymph pattern, but found fish responded better to brown on this particular day. It’s always good to come prepared with a few favourite colours.

Also, another thing to watch out for is when two bubble lines come together to form an eye. I find that larger fish tend to sit in these areas waiting in ambush while the smaller fish are out in the faster current. Larger fish are lazy preferring to have food come past its noise. That was certainly true for the next fish. I dropped my fly about a metre ahead of where 2 bubble lines came together and watched the indicator drift past and go down right at the spot. The fish gave an amazing fight and after 5 heart minutes was beached. The buck rainbow measured approximately 40cm.

post-13314-089201100 1317781763_thumb.jpg

And for me, the best part of the fight, is watching the fish swim away.

post-13314-016655600 1317781999_thumb.jpg

Regards Caddis

Edited by Caddis

Hey Caddis,

Lovely report, thanks very much.

The water looks clearer than I would have expected, great results.

I did not open my account due the rain in the snowies, hope to do that on 15, 16 October. I'll let you know how I get on.

2 brownies are a bonus.

Geoff

Ahoy Caddis,

Looks like a great trip, with some lovely fish. Thanks for the report.

Are you interested in a non-solo stream fishing mission some time in the future? I don't know very many decent spots and would appreciate all the advice I can get.

No problems Irongustavius. Just PM me when you want to go out.

Regards Caddis

Hi Raiders,

I had the opportunity to make a second trip to the Coxs river over the weekend. Conditions were to be perfect according to the weather forecast, over clouded and a slight drizzle. This time I planned to have an early start and make most of the day.

The next morning, I got to the river just after 9am and besides a couple of campers and off road bikes, I had the whole river to myself surprisingly. You would think being opening weekend, there would be more people out having a fish. The water was slightly discoloured from the recent rain which made sight fishing difficult, but certainly looked inviting.

post-13314-029827500 1317781304_thumb.jpg

The first run is long and shallow, and on a day like this I opt to use a dark green nymph. Casting my fly into the bubble lines, I worked my way up the run into a deeper pool. As I got to the end, the indicator went down without any hesitation and I was on to a solid fish. At first, I thought it was a rainbow as the fish took to the air several times during the fight, but when I had her at the bank, it was a healthy brown. She measured 38 cm. Although the Coxs river has a healthy population of rainbows, we do get the occasional brown which is always a treat to catch.

post-13314-090920300 1317781490_thumb.jpg

(Photos were taken from my blackberry, which actually turned out reasonably well).

I was careful to fight the fish away from the pool, bringing the fish downstream as not to disturb other fish that could potential lay in the pool. Sure enough, my very next cast into the same pool produced this little rainbow.

post-13314-077728400 1317781546_thumb.jpg

Moving to the next run, as you can see from the insert below, the water was moving a lot faster and access was not very easy with the dead trees along the bank. After several drifts, the indicator went down and I was on. The fish surfaced briefly and spat the hook. There’s a big puppy living down there.

post-13314-069315300 1317781565_thumb.jpg

I continued fishing that day catching several fish in the upper pools, and also dropping many as well. The fish ranged in size, both browns and rainbows. It certainly turned out to be an enjoyable day.

post-13314-043681300 1317781580_thumb.jpg

post-13314-021064200 1317781606_thumb.jpg

post-13314-057997900 1317781614_thumb.jpg

post-13314-053470500 1317781675_thumb.jpg

post-13314-002725100 1317781753_thumb.jpg

I constantly changed nymphs during the day for 2 reasons, 1. To see if there is a preferred pattern the fish favour on the day and 2. Provoke a strike. Sometimes you can get a fish to take you fly by simply changing your pattern. I started off with a dark green nymph pattern, but found fish responded better to brown on this particular day. It’s always good to come prepared with a few favourite colours.

Also, another thing to watch out for is when two bubble lines come together to form an eye. I find that larger fish tend to sit in these areas waiting in ambush while the smaller fish are out in the faster current. Larger fish are lazy preferring to have food come past its noise. That was certainly true for the next fish. I dropped my fly about a metre ahead of where 2 bubble lines came together and watched the indicator drift past and go down right at the spot. The fish gave an amazing fight and after 5 heart minutes was beached. The buck rainbow measured approximately 40cm.

post-13314-089201100 1317781763_thumb.jpg

And for me, the best part of the fight, is watching the fish swim away.

post-13314-016655600 1317781999_thumb.jpg

Regards Caddis

Mate i just love reading your reports, freshwater fly fishing in a remote stream sounds picture perfect. Well done on those awesome fish aswell.

Cheers, Stan

Mate i just love reading your reports, freshwater fly fishing in a remote stream sounds picture perfect. Well done on those awesome fish aswell.

Cheers, Stan

Thanks Stan, it is very encouraging to receive your feedback.

Many thanks.

Regards Chris

Caddis, Awesome work. I always love reading flyfishing reports, especially looking at the photos of trout and very clear water. I do agree with you when you watch a fish swim off after an awesome fight its a great sight and a great feeling :thumbup:

Caddis, Awesome work. I always love reading flyfishing reports, especially looking at the photos of trout and very clear water. I do agree with you when you watch a fish swim off after an awesome fight its a great sight and a great feeling :thumbup:

Thanks bassboy888, appreciate your comments.

Edited by Caddis

Chris reminds me of some East Cape small streams and tose up around the Auckland region and a couple of Wairarapa streams I used to fish! Love the reports and I'll be hassling you soon for a fish plenty of experimental nyphms for you to try especially mt cassette tape hot head horn caddis!

Chris reminds me of some East Cape small streams and tose up around the Auckland region and a couple of Wairarapa streams I used to fish! Love the reports and I'll be hassling you soon for a fish plenty of experimental nyphms for you to try especially mt cassette tape hot head horn caddis!

Hi Royce, I'll have a few sample rods for you to try when you're back in action.

Regards CHris

Edited by Caddis