Kingie set up

rjc123

Hey raiders,

Have just got back from overseas and really am desperate to get back into some good fishing. I have one jewie/kingie set up currently being an 8000 Shimano Baitrunner matched to a Silstar crystal blue powertip 6-8kg. I plan on getting another outfit. I was thinking a Penn Spinfisher 760L matched with maybe an 8-10kg rod. Any suggestions about a rod that may be suitable. Also, Penn also make the live liner and the slammer. Are these a better option than the spinfisher?

Tom

Hey raiders,

Have just got back from overseas and really am desperate to get back into some good fishing. I have one jewie/kingie set up currently being an 8000 Shimano Baitrunner matched to a Silstar crystal blue powertip 6-8kg. I plan on getting another outfit. I was thinking a Penn Spinfisher 760L matched with maybe an 8-10kg rod. Any suggestions about a rod that may be suitable. Also, Penn also make the live liner and the slammer. Are these a better option than the spinfisher?

Tom

I've got a spinfisher it's the size down from the 760 if i remember correctly, it's a bullet proof unit but it is heavy, okay if you plan on fishing from the rod holder but it will make a long day of it if you are are doing a lot of casting and holding. drag is good for the money you pay.

I've got a spinfisher it's the size down from the 760 if i remember correctly, it's a bullet proof unit but it is heavy, okay if you plan on fishing from the rod holder but it will make a long day of it if you are are doing a lot of casting and holding. drag is good for the money you pay.

I will be doing mostly rod holder fishing so it should be okay. Is it worth getting the live liner which has a baitrunner mechanism? Apart from that is there much of a difference between the two?

Tom

I will be doing mostly rod holder fishing so it should be okay. Is it worth getting the live liner which has a baitrunner mechanism? Apart from that is there much of a difference between the two?

Tom

Don't know when i use mine for float baiting in berly trails for snapper i just leave the bail open, same for if i have free swimming yakka but i normally clip their tails so it does not get to out of control.

I'mno Kingfish guru, but everything I read about them says reefing is the most common way to lose them. A baitrunner/liveliner system is just going to let them run to the bottom while you're trying to trip the fighting drag on.

mate, all the baitrunner system does is basically put it on freespool. As soon as the reel starts screaming all you have to do is one wind then it returns to normal drag. If the fish is big then it will reef you either way..

mate, all the baitrunner system does is basically put it on freespool. As soon as the reel starts screaming all you have to do is one wind then it returns to normal drag. If the fish is big then it will reef you either way..

The Penn 850 and or 950 are bullet proof. Trust me.

Kings this year are hopefully bigger than last year. So spool them up with 80lbs, tighten that drag to 7 -9 kgs to start with, and hang on.

I so cant wait

ITS GOING TO A CRACKER SEASON

Too true!!! But a btr does definately have its pro's and cons, less resistance, strike etc, but if your lucky, right time, right place everything has its merits. We have caught metre plus kings in the harbour in 6-8metres of water over heavy structure, ie reef, moorings but been absolutely smoked by mucchh, much bigger fish in deeper water,,, over less structure with maxed out drag, just couldnt get there nose up.

For live baiting BTRS are brillant but sometimes running it in BTR mode, ie freespool will cost you fish. Both myself and Greg prefer to run overheads with alot less drag for strike then pump it right up when you get a hit. Yes you will pull the hooks on a few fish but the ones you land are worth it.

Dan

Too true!!! But a btr does definately have its pro's and cons, less resistance, strike etc, but if your lucky, right time, right place everything has its merits. We have caught metre plus kings in the harbour in 6-8metres of water over heavy structure, ie reef, moorings but been absolutely smoked by mucchh, much bigger fish in deeper water,,, over less structure with maxed out drag, just couldnt get there nose up.

For live baiting BTRS are brillant but sometimes running it in BTR mode, ie freespool will cost you fish. Both myself and Greg prefer to run overheads with alot less drag for strike then pump it right up when you get a hit. Yes you will pull the hooks on a few fish but the ones you land are worth it.

Dan

Totally agree mate, the baitrunner is just an extra feature. I can still fish it normally with locked up drag. I just think it would be handy to have that feature for when i target some jewies down the Hawkesbury.