Finally back on the water

Hodgey

G'day all,

It's been several weeks since I have managed to hit the water, and the arrival of my brother and his family over the long weekend offered the perfect opportunity to remedy that fact. My family have not had many opportunities to fish saltwater or indeed the Tuross Lake system. TurossBrown very kindly offered to fish with us and take one of the extra people out of my boat, which was a huge help. Thank you once again mate. :thumbup: Dene M also took them out for a day when I was working. Good on ya mate. ;)

The weather was kind and the fish put in an appearance. We managed to get a feed for them to take home and they set quite a few new PB's:

> Sister-In-Law: 59cm flatty = New PB

> Brother: 56cm salmon = His first on soft plastic and bream gear. (still beaming :D )

> Nephew: 42cm Bass = His first ever, and a luderick on soft plastic = his 1st ever as well

There has been a lot of laughs and a heap of smiles over the last week. They've seen some new country, experienced some different techniques and equipment ... and we had a few Bundys as well. They leave tomorrow with a feed of fish, fresh lobsters, prawns and oysters, and a lot of new stories to regale their freshwater mates with.

post-3198-090032700 1317977404_thumb.jpg

post-3198-000629400 1317977426_thumb.jpg

post-3198-086451000 1317977446_thumb.jpg

post-3198-098614700 1317977481_thumb.jpg

post-3198-025695800 1317977510_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Hodgey

Awesome report Skip well done!

I'm taking four weeks off at the end of the year and I will definetly be spending at least a few days down ur way while i fish my way down the south coast! I will let you know when im in the area might be worth a fish and a beer! :thumbup:

Musty

Some nice fish there Hodgey, especially that wild river Bass and congrats for getting your relatives onto some quality fish.

What did the Bass fall too?

The bass fell to 1/8oz gold colorado/willow in purple and brown and 1/8oz silver colorado/willow in fluro green/black stripe. The bass should really fire in the coming weeks! :thumbup:

Awesome report Skip well done!

I'm taking four weeks off at the end of the year and I will definetly be spending at least a few days down ur way while i fish my way down the south coast! I will let you know when im in the area might be worth a fish and a beer! :thumbup:

Musty

You're always welcome mate ;)

Nice lizards. Me and my dad will have to come down and fish tuross. :biggrin2:

I look forward to catching up with you, Dad and that very nice new boat of yours. See you soon! :thumbup:

Thanks very much everyone. I have had one session on the water in 9 weeks so it was good to blow off a few cobwebs and locate some fish to keep the family entertained. I hope to do a lot more in the future!

Cheers

Hodgey

Awesome report and fish Hodgey! We can always rely on you to come up with the goods :thumbup:

My next roster and a bit sees me very busy, but I have 9 days off in a row from the 5th November :yahoo:

Will have to head down for a trip, been to long. Hopefully the water has warmed up and the bass are still firing!

I still have that spinner you lent me :biggrin2:

Hopefully we can catch up for a Bundy or 3 :beersmile:

Cheers

Rob

Awesome report and fish Hodgey! We can always rely on you to come up with the goods :thumbup:

My next roster and a bit sees me very busy, but I have 9 days off in a row from the 5th November :yahoo:

Will have to head down for a trip, been to long. Hopefully the water has warmed up and the bass are still firing!

I still have that spinner you lent me :biggrin2:

Hopefully we can catch up for a Bundy or 3 :beersmile:

Cheers

Rob

Excellent Rob. Look forward to it! :beersmile:

Thanks again everyone. :thumbup:

There is some very interesting water in our little district. Over Winter, our water temp hovered around 9 degrees for a prolonged period, and the fishing hit rock bottom. The only saving grace was the annual visit by the salmon (just for a bit of fun). The water is starting to heat up now in the lake and the baitfish are starting to appear in the shallows. The fishing should return to it's former glory in 4-5 weeks time. The bass are a nice surprise in the Moruya River and there has been some encouraging reports coming out of Brogo Dam, as well as the Deua River. Some very good jewies have appeared in the Clyde recently and an school of big salmon and tailor has been keeping some of the Narooma locals entertained this week.

Those of you who are visiting over the next couple of months should be aware though that the main boat ramp in Tuross is a bloody disgrace. :ranting2: At low tide, you can basically walk from the ramp out to the green marker and never get your knees wet. You need to launch/retrieve as close as you can to the top of the tide, or use an alternate ramp such as the one at the Bodalla steel bridge (Tuross River). There is a whisper that someone is going to cut a small channel into the sand at the boat ramp and hopefully it will be done for all the terrorists tourists at Christmas time. We'll see ...

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks for the update Hodgey! The ramp and jetty areas definitely need to be dredged, I have literally had to walk the boat out in the skinny water (like a dog on a lead) just to get some "deeper" water. It certainly changed after the lake was opened up. I can understand why the greenies etc wouldn't want it to be dredged, but if the council has spent all those $$$ on the ramp and jetty then they need to be maintained and useable at any tide level.

I hope that the water temp improves soon, the opening of the lake obviously made a HUGE difference to the system, allowing the colder ocean water in, it needed to be opened, but has certainly changed the dynamics of the system, since we first visited.

Cant wait to start seeing the big croc pictures again! Take care.

Cheers Rob