100cm Harbour King & Snapper

fishmaniac

With all the hype of Snapper over the past few months, a few weeks ago I thought I would give it a crack down south. The Coutas caused a lot of grief biting off hooks and making it difficult to get a bait past the buggers.

I took my younger brother and we managed 5 nice size pannies for the table. It was a very different style of fishing to what I experienced in SA (where the snapper were also a hell of a lot bigger!!!) but we are now a little wiser and it was good to score on the first attempt. Many thanks to squidboy who guided me in the right direction.

post-6215-099675300 1318682684_thumb.jpg

Fished middle harbour today amongst various moored boats downrigging yakkas. Scored a few kings, the biggest going a couple of mm over 100cm. After a measure and a few quick snaps, all fish were released to make more kings and grow a bit bigger

post-6215-066357900 1318682695_thumb.jpg

That's a great king. Good on you for throwing it back. :thumbup:

Is that a saltist lever Drag? what size is it? Is it good for jigging?

Hey mate,

That is the older model saltist, with the star drag. I know there are still some about but I don't know if that same model exists. It is a 40H.

I have used i for jigging, cubing, livebaiting and I have been very happy with it.

Great stuff mate, did you use yakkas because you couldn't find any squid or do you prefer yakkas for trolling? Also do you know what stage of the tide it was when they came on?

Cheers

Hey mate, I just felt like using a yakka at the time. I didn't really take note of the tide, things came together once i started marking fish

With all the hype of Snapper over the past few months, a few weeks ago I thought I would give it a crack down south. The Coutas caused a lot of grief biting off hooks and making it difficult to get a bait past the buggers.

I took my younger brother and we managed 5 nice size pannies for the table. It was a very different style of fishing to what I experienced in SA (where the snapper were also a hell of a lot bigger!!!) but we are now a little wiser and it was good to score on the first attempt. Many thanks to squidboy who guided me in the right direction.

Fished middle harbour today amongst various moored boats downrigging yakkas. Scored a few kings, the biggest going a couple of mm over 100cm. After a measure and a few quick snaps, all fish were released to make more kings and grow a bit bigger

Nice catch! Spewing we couldnt get out on the water yesterday...best weather in weeks.. hope that Kingy has a lot of friends out there! Well done putting him back too.....

What an awesome king mate, ill be down rigging the harbour this weekend. What was the water like? (colour, temp). I see your using the saltist : ) i got the same one, awesome reel.

Stan