Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished early this morning in the deep for one jew of 64cm, but that was it. Took a strip of salted tailor on a 10 pound handline, and burned a cut through a finger it took off so fast. One of the disadvantages of fishing handlines. Had out squid, pilchards and fresh yellowtail fillets on other lines for only small reddies. Rather quiet.

Pumped a few nippers and drifted the main channel hoping for a flathead, but only managed a couple of little whiting. The 2 flathead I saw on the sandbank were both about 30cm long. Drifted around Lilli Pilli flats for 4 keeper bream to 30cm, but most caught were just undersize. They were scattered about and feeding on squirt worms. I could see some of them, drifted a nipper right past their noses and most were not interested.

Yowie.

Sounds like a nice feed for your troubles...

Where do you get your yakkas from in the hacking? Havent had much luck and want to do a bit of live baiting but just cant seem to get them.

From the deeper areas up past Lilli Pilli, or South West Arm, the yellowtail are reasonably close to shore. The different spots I fish usually have yellowtail swimming about. Burly up in the early morning or late afternoon, sometimes the yellowtail will be swimming not too far under the boat. Yowie Bay wharf should have a few about as well.