Beasty Botany Kingies!

Dangas

Hi Raiders,

Just a little post to report some kingfish caught outside of Botany bay. These brutes were caught jigging off some shallow reefs in 30m using 100gm jigs.

Went out in search of snapper and found some nice markings of kingfish instead. Couldnt help myself and decided to throw a jig down. The only problem was we were out gunned on the snapper gear. We got smoked several times on 20lb but was lucky to land a few, The largest one measured 100cm.

post-11346-018223200 1319195775_thumb.jpg post-11346-075339000 1319195671_thumb.jpg

Thai is scabbing a picture with my 1m Kingy

post-11346-089924900 1319195858_thumb.jpg

post-11346-050159000 1319195973_thumb.jpg

the line had "More Nicks than a Greek Restaurant" ("Fishin Trip" quote from Jason Kennedy)

Nice catch Dangas. You seemed to be locating them kings :thumbup: .

Did you boated more than just one?

Hi Formosan,

Boated 4 in total. Got busted off on the light gear several times by big specimens. Released 3 kept one

Edited by Dangas

hey dangas,

sweet job on landing the metre fish on snapper gear! :thumbup:

What gear were you using?? I'm thinking of upgrading my snapper gear to a 3000 or 4000 Stradic FJ or Ci4 matched with a decent rod with the hope of stopping something big if I encounter them.

Any tips on gear that'd be up to what you just done?

Cheers

Tom

Edited by fisheyes85

hey dangas,

sweet job on landing the metre fish on snapper gear! :thumbup:

What gear were you using?? I'm thinking of upgrading my snapper gear to a 3000 or 4000 Stradic FJ or Ci4 matched with a decent rod with the hope of stopping something big if I encounter them.

Any tips on gear that'd be up to what you just done?

Cheers

Tom

Tom, the kings were caught on both Shimano Baitrunner D 3000 and symetre 3000 both with 20lb braid and 20lb flurocarbon.

The 3000 Stradic C14 you are looking at would be an awesome reel for this sort of work. If you match it with a nice 6-8kg 7ft graphite rod Would be a sweet setup for flicking plastics for snapper, poppers for kings, metal slugs for bonito, salmon etc...

dangas,

Firstly, thanks for the reply! Secondly, sorry for the english on the last post!

Was expecting to hear you were using expensive, topline gear to land those monsters! Stella, certate, sustain... Symetre?! Only makes your catch more admirable. I was upgrading my symetre 4000 for the sustain or stradic. I'll keep thinking it through

Cheers

Tom

dangas,

Firstly, thanks for the reply! Secondly, sorry for the english on the last post!

Was expecting to hear you were using expensive, topline gear to land those monsters! Stella, certate, sustain... Symetre?! Only makes your catch more admirable. I was upgrading my symetre 4000 for the sustain or stradic. I'll keep thinking it through

Cheers

Tom

Mate, the Stradic C14 4000 would be perfect and not too pricey. i like the fact that its pretty light and has a good amount of drag pressure available. I really prefer using lighter gear. At the end of the day, they are less tiring to use all day and make the fight a lot more enjoyable. The symetre would prob do the job, but go the Stradic if you want a lighter reel body, better drag system, and more bling.

Maybe also look at the Shimano Thunnus C14 baitrunner if you want to throw a spanner in the works. Great for flicking lures, trolling, and livebaiting.

Although the top end gear are beautiful to use (saltigas, certates stellas etc), IMO you could stop 99% of sydney kings using a decent shimano or daiwa reel in 4000 OR 3500 size for under $500. You just need to understand the limits of your gear, trust your lines and knots, and know how to play the fish. Also helps to look after your reels.

Good luck with your decision Tom.

Dang