Tackle Opinion Please

Grantm

Gday All,

Went and bought a new setup the other day to handle some heavier applications. Wanted something in the 5 to 8 kg range.

After a bit of a look around I decided to go with a Diawa IM-6 Coastal Tournament at the above class. Very light and seems to have a bit of grunt as well.It was the only rod I could find in this class that wasnt either very cheap or a Loomis. Cost me $170

My choice of reel was a bit of a worry cause I hadnt actually seen this model before. It is a Shimano Exage 4000 which is from thier P3 range of reels. Paid $190.

Very smooth and looks pretty good, but I just hadnt seen them before and relied on the tackle shops advice.

Can I get some opinions on these items. Im a bit concerned that I could have bought a better reel for that money although it does look and feel good, and the shop assures me it is an excellent reel. Probably should have done this first but you know what its like, your in the store and you just have to have it NOW.

Thanks in advance. :biggrin2:

Guest Jocool

Those Daiwa rods have an awesome feel! I was actually looking at one not long ago. I don't see you would have any huge problems with it. Having said that, they are a graphite rod, and as such shouldn't be thrown around like a glass rod. :biggrin2:

As far as the reel goes, there is a plethora of models being imported by tackle stores direct. They are just models that aren't released in Australia by the distributors. I have a Daiwa which falls in that catagory. Although its a great reel, and hasn't posed any major issues, if I did it again, I would opt for an Australian released model. JMO! :biggrin2:

15% off storewide at KMART till June 18.

I suspect they may be out of stock on the items you are after but don't fret, you may be able to find a couple of nice rods with broken tips on the CLEARANCE rack.

53155[/snapback]

You've completely lost me there :huh: What has KMart and broken rods got to do with anything. Are you suggesting this rod I got is a KMART special ? Can you clarify please.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhooked :1prop:

Im a little suprised that no one can comment on these items knowing how much knowledge is on this site. (except Joe - cheers).

Have to say ive always struggled to get comments on tackle questions for some reason. Oh well.

:thumbup:

If anyone is like me I do my tackle shopping at the nearest garage sale. Picked up a daiwa 2kg eggbeater with line for 5 bucks (he wanted 8 and a trolling overhead with 10kg line for 15 (he wanted 20) now thats value...

Grant - I don't know about that rig, but my dream rig in the same line class at the moment is a 4000 Stradic matched to a Nitro- Magnum Butt Distance Spin 7'6"

Nitro Rods

It might be a bit out of your price range though - mine to at the moment, but I'm gunna hold out for it.

I was going to use it for jews on SPs and probably light spinning pelagics off the rocks or boat.

Cheers

Wayne

Edited by Wayne_D

Nice looking rod there Wayne.

Yep a bit dear for me, just hope the Coastal does the trick. I was a bees dick of the Stradic and opted for a cheaper version, compares to the Sustain quality I think, but not commen in Aus.

Cheers

Gday All,

Went and bought a new setup the other day to handle some heavier applications. Wanted something in the 5 to 8 kg range.

After a bit of a look around I decided to go with a Diawa IM-6 Coastal Tournament at the above class. Very light and seems to have a bit of grunt as well.It was the only rod I could find in this class that wasnt either very cheap or a Loomis. Cost me $170

My choice of reel was a bit of a worry cause I hadnt actually seen this model before. It is a Shimano Exage 4000 which is from thier P3 range of reels. Paid $190.

52853[/snapback]

Gday, I dont know the Exage....

I looked at a similar Dawia Today, a 7' 6" IM-6 Inshore Spin in about the 8kg class, and almost purchased it (it was about $220 i think?).

I ended up buying a 7'6" Nitro Magnum Butt Instead :biggrin2: as it was a little stiffer (although heavier) rod , that looked like it could handle throwing plastics as well as medium size metals (60g or so)

I know what you mean about this class of rod, they are mostly either in the cheapies range or over $450 like the loomis and more expensive strudwicks.

cheers

Chris

Grant - I don't know about that rig, but my dream rig in the same line class at the moment is a 4000 Stradic matched to a  Nitro- Magnum Butt Distance Spin 7'6"

Nitro Rods

It might be a bit out of your price range though - mine to at the moment, but I'm gunna hold out for it.

I was going to use it for jews on SPs and probably light spinning pelagics off the rocks or boat.

Cheers

Wayne

53277[/snapback]

:1yikes: didn't see your post Wayne. I went out and got one myself today, cant have Matt thinking he's the only one in town with one :)

mines getting matched with My Dawia Theory 4000, until I get myself a Capricorn 4500J or possibly a Stradic.

cheers

Chris

Edited by the_lure

Guest Jocool

Grant, I just did a quick bit of research, and that reel slots in between the Symetre and the Stradic. And that price is reflective of being between those 2. It seems to have most of the features of the Stradic, except the slow ossicilation which would be a benefit if using braid. It also has the A-RB bearings, so shouldn't pose a problem.

Incidently, the only place I could find that reel was on the UK Shimano site. :wacko: