Flatty at Ettalong

Onajewagain

Up at Ettalong for a wedding, so chucked a few rods in the car, just in case the bride didn't turn up.

My brother got this little lady in a nice gutter off the sandy point whilst flicking plastics.

cb142366-8076-04ab.jpg

Tried to put her back in, but a 40 min fight(close to) took it out of her, she just wouldn't swim, once she started floating, we thought about dinner, there is 14 of us up here.

Caught on 8lb mono with a 6lb leader, hence the 40 min fight.

Really odd for a big girl, just kept pulling line off. We thought it was a ray, when we saw it the first time, we couldn't believe it.

Ended up at 86cm and guess of about 5-6kg. No eggs in her belly which we were happy about, but still a bit of a shame taking it home. It's somehow satisfying letting these girls go, but it wasn't meant to be.

cb142366-81ea-f04c.jpg

Hey Stan.

The place is full of gutters and holes. The current runs really hard so we just strolled around until we found some slower water. Mostly out the front (towards the sea) in the shallow stuff.

The big girl was collected just past the group of rocks near the point, you'll know what I'm talking about when you see them. (nice looking green stringy weed on them too)

It's probably a place to hit when the tide is changing, a nice looking eddy near the marker boys across the inlet got my eye, and I'm thinking of hitting it up with the boat.

Also saw some guys taking decent tailor on pretty heavy gear plonking baits in the middle of the channel from the beach.

Water is crystal clear and it's a really sandy bottom, but with the strong current comes weed both tides.

Would be a good drift in the boat with a sea anchor out to slow it up.

Hey Stan.

The place is full of gutters and holes. The current runs really hard so we just strolled around until we found some slower water. Mostly out the front (towards the sea) in the shallow stuff.

The big girl was collected just past the group of rocks near the point, you'll know what I'm talking about when you see them. (nice looking green stringy weed on them too)

It's probably a place to hit when the tide is changing, a nice looking eddy near the marker boys across the inlet got my eye, and I'm thinking of hitting it up with the boat.

Also saw some guys taking decent tailor on pretty heavy gear plonking baits in the middle of the channel from the beach.

Water is crystal clear and it's a really sandy bottom, but with the strong current comes weed both tides.

Would be a good drift in the boat with a sea anchor out to slow it up.

Thanks alot mate, ill definately give it a go. You've set the bar pretty high with that flatty though hahah ill just have to give it my best

don't feel bad about talking a big flattie every now and then. Stocks are healthy, and you ARE allowed to.

Imagine if all Kings went female and bred at 70cm... Everyone would still take them regardless. At least you had the thought.

Nice catch,I caught a 83cm 4.3kg flattie at the same spot same time last year, top spot. Just took the kids for a fish and set up my rod with a pillie and left it out there, then bang away she went. A lot of fun bringing her in.

Edited by mybus999

• 1 month later...

I was raised at Ettalong from about 7 years old, learnt to fish in the channel and yes, it does run fast. As a kid I'd be up early, on the pushy and off to find some fish. Woy Woy Railway Bridge, the old baths, a dilapidated wharf at Orange Grove, Anderesons wharf, Pages Wharf and the channel from Bangalow St. to Half Tide Rocks. Never causght a flattie like that though - not until I got to Lake Macquarie. 8lb at the Drop Over and sometime later 7lb off Wangi. Ah, it's all such great fun still, 50 years on!

You were fishing flathead central. There have been some great fish taken there over the years. I once saw a guy walking back to his car with a flatty held up by the gills over his shoulder and the tail was hitting him in the back of the knees.

Years ago when the sandbar out to The Box used to get very shallow at low tide people would wade right out but you had to make sure you were back in before the water. Even further back they used to pyramid stilt fish out there. Go out at low tide and set up a tripod then stay for the whole tide. During the big storms of 1974 they had to put rock breakwalls up to prevent losing The Esplanade to the erosion and it changed the area considerably. There used to be a lot more sand back then and anybody old enough will remember the Ettalong Beach Canoe hire days.

We used to sell bait not far from there and a bloke I went to school with named Chris caught big fish there on a regular basis using only frozen prawns. He used to drop back into the shop to show us his catch.

It is also a great whiting spot and there have been sizeable jew taken as well. All fish in the Brisbane Water must swim through that channel.