Noosa River

I finally managed to get the family away for a two week break, and we went to Byron for a couple of days, Noosa for 10 days and stopped in at Crescent Head on the way back to break up the drive for me. My wife wont drive far with the boat on.

So we got to Noosa after no surf in Byron and I went out on a charter. I have never fished Noosa even though I have been there several times. Anyway I took my 8 year son with me as it weas the same price and a great oppurtunity for some male bonding.

Had a great time Phippsy new his stuff, new ther spots, the fish and only fished with plastics.

Headed out at 5 am as there is no daylight saving so it was still dark. Headed to the first spot nothing only was there for 10min. Headed to the second spot nothing. Headed to the third and the tide was rushing out the river system at this stage. Water was murcky on side and clear the other.

He had said that there had not been anything much caught over the previous week. So we started to flick SP (Pumpkin seed - Gulps) and next thing my son who has never fished with plastics yells that he is on something, pulls a small Jewie approx 30cm his first. It is also the one that I am desperate to catch.

So we take the photos and put him back. He thens yells out about 5 mins later that he is one again, pulls up a nice 60cm one. Still undersize so just photos and send him back. Thats 2 - 0.

So we keep flicking SP's then all of sudden the line starts screeming of my light gear and I have a great fight that lasts a good 15min and as the fish comes out of the murck Phippsy calls and GT, but as we land it, it was a Golden trevally that went 65cm. I have never caught one, he tells me they are great eating so in the box it goes.

We keep trying this spot but more and more boats are arriving and going past, so onto another spot.

This time we are there a good 10min and my line starts to scream agian. It is moving through the water alot fast and then all of a sudden it jumps and flcisk it's head about. Tarpon. I land it and it goeas 50cm, not much at eating so photos and back it goes.

We then spend the next couple of hours catching 15 Tarpon landing 8 and having a ball as they all take a good 10mins to land.

My son who at this stage has developed a good cast and was doing well on his own so that I could fish. He yells that he is on again and starts to play one of tarpon, lots of jumps and blinding runs. He manages to boat the fish and it goes a good 75cm. The biggest of the day.

At this stage the wind comes up and thats the end of our day anyway. We did a 3/4 day charter $300 that started at 5 over by 11, so my wife was really happy as we had the rest of the day.

The next couplde of days we did not get much fishing as the weather was bad but my son and I got out one other tiem and I got myself a nice diamond Trevally that went a good 45cm.

So all up a really trip and highly recommend the charter. I will add the other photos when I can find the camera

post-10472-007641100 1320044396_thumb.jpg

I am up there in two weeks with the family so can't wait to go for a fish now. Thinking of going deep sea fishing though. Any tips for land based on the river?

Just about anywhere on the river, good spost that I found, where on the point near the caravan park and just under the second bridge to Noosaville just down from the caravan park. You get small GT's, Flathead and other