Plastic snapper fishing question

lukeric

Ive been trying lately to score that big snapper on plastic.

Could anyone please recommend the best way to rig my line, eg how best to tie a mono leader to brided line(small flat knot so as not to catch runners on cast), how much mono, is it best to tie a bimini twist to form a double in braid first?

Would an albright knot work with braid double, do you have issues casting it through guides?

Is a loop knot the best way to attach jig heat to mono?

Main braid line is 20lb, would 30lb mono leader be ok??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by lukeric

I'll have a stab.

Q1 tieing braid to mono/fluro leader.

In the past I use to use a double uni knot but found over time the knot being smashed threw the guides all the time, the knot would suffer from fatigue and let go a couple of hundred casts in.....

I now use a FG knot, harder to tie but a shed load stronger and as there is no knot in the leader side, the knot is extreamly thin.

Even though I use a FG I don't put the knot in the guides when I cast. I fish a 1.3m leader and can cast this off an 8ft rod no problems.

I have no fear of pushing my gear to the limits any time as I know there wont be knot fatigue.

I use a FG which is a single strand to leader, no need for doubles.

A good Albright will hold but dont cast it through the guides and it will last.

A loop knot is the go with all lure connections.

I fish 20-30lb braid, 16-30lb leaders. Lighter the better for bites, I usually change through the day depending on depth and fish size. 20lb is the usual starting point.

North I tend to go a little heavier and down south and it's more gravel beds I'll even go as low as 10lb when things are tough!

Greg

Thanks greg, i will take that onboard.

Im fishing off a boat with 7ft rod, is that short of a leader any issue with fish seeing main braid line?

Anyone be kind enough to tell me how deep they fish with plastics for snapper, and what size head they use, do you want the smallest possible head to get to the bottom?

All of my fishing in past times has either been bait or game fishing and im really keen to get a snapper on plastic, so far ive only got red rock cod, sergents and trevalley, so any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

Edited by lukeric