27Mhz radio help

helliconia

Being a clumsy clod I dropped the stumpy screw in aerial for my GX300 radio into the drink a few weeks ago.

I replaced it with a longer 1.8M swivel based GME model.

Before and after the aerial replacement I found the radio pretty useless. Which ever channel I listen to it has overwhelming static, and when people do talk they're completely drowned out by it and I can't understand a word. I've tried fiddling with the squelch control but there's no improvement.

Anyone got any ideas? I did notice when I installed the new aerial that they've run the coaxial right through the electricals behind the dash, very close to the bus bar. Would rerouting the coax away from this as much as possible make a noticeable difference? Keep in mind its a small boat and there aren't a lot of routing options.

Any tips or opinions greatly appreciated :)

may hate to read what i have to say but champ bugger the 27mhz radio off and go for a VHF unit

less interfearance and longer range

but yeh try and keep all high power leads away from your airal cable as it can interfear with it

also check your grounding on your airal so require it to be ground whist other are already ground that can make a world of a diffrance also

Thanks Gummy :)

I do intend to add a VHF when finances permit.

How do I ground the antennae? The fittings are insulated from the hull (rubber washer and silkaflex between it and hull) and the coax terminates at the radio. Are you suggesting to split the shielding and ground the coax to the hull between radio and aerial?

as i'm not from down sydney and it has been a few years since i last spent any time down there i can't say if there is any point or not

i know up here on the mid north ocast i can reach my marine rescue unit from my home so i can test my radios

it is that good i even get them on the old handheald i have also (good for haveing on listening to the chatter from other boats)

Hi EH ,

Please do yourself a favour and throw your 27meg into the closest bin . They are rubbish and totally useless around here. Invest in a VHF and you will enjoy clear reception every day. I install marine electronics and for a offshore fisherman the 27 is crap. The VHF will receive and transmit over a much further distance and the reception will not compare . Also the safety factor is far greater than the 27 , hopefully none of us will ever need it for that though.

Brad

Hi EH ,

Please do yourself a favour and throw your 27meg into the closest bin . They are rubbish and totally useless around here. Invest in a VHF and you will enjoy clear reception every day. I install marine electronics and for a offshore fisherman the 27 is crap. The VHF will receive and transmit over a much further distance and the reception will not compare . Also the safety factor is far greater than the 27 , hopefully none of us will ever need it for that though.

Brad

Thanks Brad, I get your point. Ultimately I'll have both (or just replace the 27) but for the moment the 27 meg will have to do me. I don't take my boat offshore so it's more general communications. I know a VHF will be better but the finances won't support it just yet :)

I'm playing it safe and sticking inshore as I learn to use the boat in different conditions. I haven't even taken it past Barrenjoey yet. Once I'm confident I'll do the VHF, EPIRB and other offshore safety gear in one hit.

Cheers

Brian