NZ North Island fly fishing

cc118

Hi Fishraiders,

I just got back from spending 7 amazing days fly fishing NZ South and North Island. I flew into Dunedin on the 5th and worked my up to Rotorua/ Taupo before finishing up in Auckland on the 12th.

This report and photos are from trips in the North Island. I will post my trip in the South Island later this week.

During this trip, I fished with a close friend and local guide John Hamill, who knows these waters like the back of his hand and in my opinion, one of the best at spotting fish. John H. had actually organised a chopper, but the weather turned nasty the day before, and we ended up fishing the local waters.

On day one we took the new owners (John) of the Hunting and Fishing store in Rotorua with us. We took on our trip the Sage One, Z-Axis and Thomas & Thomas Horizon II rods and put them to the test in some tough conditions. The wind was blowing a good 20/25 knots, and gusts up to 40 knots. John H. was exceptional at spotting the trout, but the fish spooked easily and was just not interested in anything we had to offer. John ended up with a fly in his cheek and ear, which must have hurt.

post-13314-099003400 1321175335_thumb.jpg

post-13314-099963200 1321175343_thumb.jpg

post-13314-060998100 1321175352_thumb.jpg

post-13314-074430400 1321175360_thumb.jpg

On day two we tried a different access point. Weather conditions were similar to the day before, and there was rain on the mountains. I dropped 2 fish at the start of the day, and then things went quiet. We saw plenty of fish, some up to 6 pounds, in very thin water. After lunch John H. managed to spot a couple of fish tight against the bank. The fish cooperated and here are the results.

post-13314-057318500 1321175370_thumb.jpg

post-13314-057230000 1321175381_thumb.jpg

We took turns spotting fish for each other, and landed this last hen rainbow.

post-13314-072611400 1321175389_thumb.jpg

In my next report, we come across a massive South Island brown.

Regards Caddis

Awesome bows there Chris! Good report looking forward to the Sth Island report cause even though I spent the majority of my time on the North Island the South Island is where its at! I really must organise a trip for next winter to Turangi! Interested?

I'm planning to go back again early next year. Mate, it would be great to organise a few people together.

Hey Chris,

Can you tell us what you thought of the rods. I have the Sage One and although not a huge fan of the sage I love this rod. What did you think ?? Looking forward to the Sth Island report. A trip early next year ?? mmmmm.

Paul

On Strike

Chris,

Awesome report and photos- wow some nice beastly beasts there!.

I could so easily pack up and leave and move to NZ.

Very jealous, and happy for you for getting in some great fishing.

And more so - SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glasd you are a Thomas & Thomas man- cause that was my first rod in an 8wt!.

I love T&T, their bamboo looks incredible.

Can't get enuff of T&T- matched with an Abel SS in either Dolly Varden or Brown Trout!.

We seriously need to get together and fish soon ( with Irongustavius)!

Thanks for the reply on my post- I know the fly gang here is thin, but I am sure there are more fly fisherman here, just not everyone is motivated ( or has the time) to sit down and write long reports.

This site is great- what makes it great is the diversity and the reports- so whether or not others can't be bothered - I will always make the effort and so will any of us here that want to share with others. So when you go fishing- always take tonnes, and tonnes of pics- make the time, give the camera to others, and also make the time to "set up " good shots- that is what I believe most members want- a report with great and many photos!

Cheers,

matt

Hey Chris,

Can you tell us what you thought of the rods. I have the Sage One and although not a huge fan of the sage I love this rod. What did you think ?? Looking forward to the Sth Island report. A trip early next year ?? mmmmm.

Paul

On Strike

Hi Paul,

I will PM you my comments.

Regards Chris

Chris,

Awesome report and photos- wow some nice beastly beasts there!.

I could so easily pack up and leave and move to NZ.

Very jealous, and happy for you for getting in some great fishing.

And more so - SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glasd you are a Thomas & Thomas man- cause that was my first rod in an 8wt!.

I love T&T, their bamboo looks incredible.

Can't get enuff of T&T- matched with an Abel SS in either Dolly Varden or Brown Trout!.

We seriously need to get together and fish soon ( with Irongustavius)!

Thanks for the reply on my post- I know the fly gang here is thin, but I am sure there are more fly fisherman here, just not everyone is motivated ( or has the time) to sit down and write long reports.

This site is great- what makes it great is the diversity and the reports- so whether or not others can't be bothered - I will always make the effort and so will any of us here that want to share with others. So when you go fishing- always take tonnes, and tonnes of pics- make the time, give the camera to others, and also make the time to "set up " good shots- that is what I believe most members want- a report with great and many photos!

Cheers,

matt

One of my mates just got back from NZ South Island and sent me photos of an 8 and 10 pound brown trout he landed. He has a grin from ear to ear. His first double digit trout.

I'll let the cat out of the bag. We did have a shot at a metre long brown, which we estimate 16 to 20 pounds. I struggled getting a good drift and he was all over the shop. He finally spooked. I'm hoping the photos developed so i can post them.

I might be available in a few weeks (first Saturday in December), if you're interested.

Regards Chris

Chris,

I have been out of circulation and just cam across this awesome report.

I have put in a few weeks in the North Island since March.

The quality of the fishing is directly related to your contacts and you have some great contacts.

Thanks for the post,

Geoff