NZ South Island fly fishing

cc118

Hi Fishraiders,

Here is the next instalment of my New Zealand fishing trip. The photos in this report are from a beautiful river in the South Island, feed by rain and spring water. The water clarity is gin clear and the scenery amazing.

My friend Casey Cravens picked me up from the hotel and after 2 hours of driving we arrived at our destination. Luckily for us, just as we pulled over, 2 other cars pulled up behind us full of fisherman. After a short chat, they decided to leave us to our business, while they tried another river.

I have to admit, the walk into Casey’s spot was slightly challenging. At one point we were climbing up a vertical cliff with our rods in our mouths, looking down a sheer 20+ metre drop. After a 2 hour hike in, Casey spotted 2 large trout, 1 on the surface (5 pounds) and the other down deep (7 pounds). We throw practically every fly in Casey’s box, but they were just not interested and eventually spooked.

We continued to see fish on the surface feeding freely, but as soon as we got into casting distance they would spook. I remember being 10 metre hiding behind a tree, and the fish would sense something and dart for cover. Casey managed to spot a trout feeding is some faster current and I was able to get right behind the fish for a long cast to produce this handsome rainbow.

post-13314-036667900 1321519859_thumb.jpeg

post-13314-080926800 1321519871_thumb.jpeg

post-13314-008228600 1321519884_thumb.jpeg

post-13314-037619900 1321519894_thumb.jpeg

After lunch we took turns spotting fish for each other. The fish did not stay in a particular drift, but tended to move around the pool in search of food. Your hook up rates dramatically increases, when you have someone on high ground giving you directions. As you can see in the next few photos, Casey is up high taking photos and is able to see the fish’s every movement.

post-13314-059373700 1321519906_thumb.jpeg

post-13314-060889200 1321520234_thumb.jpeg

post-13314-069480100 1321520247_thumb.jpeg

post-13314-035393200 1321520259_thumb.jpeg

post-13314-073810300 1321520272_thumb.jpeg

post-13314-080640500 1321520287_thumb.jpeg

I also managed to get Casey onto a fish. He wasn’t able to spot the fish with the reflection off the water, and I could just make out a translucent shape in the white water.

As we approached the next pool, Casey was very careful to keep out of site and away from the water. There were 2 big rainbows feeding in mid water (6 pounds). We peeked over the edge to see this enormous brown trout also feeding in mid water. He was easily over a metre long and the spots on him were clearly visible from where we were sitting. Casey said, 4 years ago, he spooked a large brown and was certain that this fish was the same one. We tied on a 12 pound leader which took about 30 minutes as both our hands were shaking. Unfortunately, this trout has probably seen many anglers, and after a few casts, this fish bunkered down deep and stopped feeding. You can see the fish reasonably well in the high resolution photo.

post-13314-040950500 1321520861_thumb.jpeg

On the way back we did catch another good rainbow, and Casey tried his luck at an eel.

post-13314-017431800 1321520872_thumb.jpeg

post-13314-006125800 1321520885_thumb.jpeg

A few days after I returned from NZ, I received this photo from a friend. Just over 10 pounds and a smile from ear to ear.

post-13314-075842700 1321520894_thumb.jpg

Regards Caddis

Again awesome stuff Chris lovely markings on thsoe bows so different from the steelheads that run out of Taupo into the rivers! And that brown hes malnuritiated from lack of mice!!!! Joke aside any fish over the magic double is a good fish but you can see in the shoulders in a mice season he would go easy 13lbs maybe 14lbs! Its a stunning brown!

JESUS! CHRIS!............

WOW- one of the best reports of the year, and man what awesome photos.

The best ( OF COURSE ) BEING THE tHOMAS AND tHOMAS WRITING AGAINST THE BOW!.

I just want to pack up and move to NZ now- just leave.

Thanks for an awesome post- your photos are great- real great- like I said, you have taken the time to think about your photos, and holy toledo, some absolute Narwals you caught!

GREAT buddy!

fresh water trout fishing looks like a something to do before you die...... but it wouldnt stop me from getting addicted to it, as I love the scenery and I love fishing. so it would just make sense to put them both together.

Every time you guys send posts with the mass amounts of pictures you make me really jealous.

Edited by Rafinx

JESUS! CHRIS!............

WOW- one of the best reports of the year, and man what awesome photos.

The best ( OF COURSE ) BEING THE tHOMAS AND tHOMAS WRITING AGAINST THE BOW!.

I just want to pack up and move to NZ now- just leave.

Thanks for an awesome post- your photos are great- real great- like I said, you have taken the time to think about your photos, and holy toledo, some absolute Narwals you caught!

GREAT buddy!

Nanook, I don't think you give yourself enough credit. If it wasn't for you and a few others, I would be posting on Flylife.

Regards Caddis

Hey Chris,

Not trying to hijack but heres a comaprison for the guys

Heres a big river to fish the Mohaka thats me in the water its flowing at about 35 cumecs that one run produced over a dozen bows blind nyphming was awesome fun!

Hi Royce,

That is certainly a nice stretch of river. You are more than welcome to share your photos and experiences on the post.

Regards Caddis