Snowies Trout Fishing

Centrepin

I had just finished work permanently at the Port Kembla Steelworks this trip had been planned with a lot of anticipation.

Called in at a mate’s property at Yass and stayed Monday night. Weather prediction was for showers on Tuesday, Rain Wednesday and clearing showers Thursday.

Headed off Tuesday morning with a plan to walk into Yarrongabilly River fish for ½ day and make our way to camp area at 3 mile dam. We arrived at the start point to find heavy showers for 10 minutes then clearing. We make our way down a steep ridge and it is about 1 hour into the river. We were greeted with the river being dirty but just fishable for Fly. Mick was lure fishing so the water colour probably suited him well.

Mick had not done any stream fishing so started him off with stream techniques of fishing upstream and not disturbing other persons water. He fished the first pool with no result. I came up behind and was waiting till he finished to go around. Of course you can’t help yourself put a fly in while you are waiting and was surprised with a nice rainbow on a size 12 flashback nymph.

post-10909-000030600 1321656703_thumb.jpgpost-10909-024876200 1321656739_thumb.jpg

Mick made his way to the next pool just as the showers reappeared. He was rewarded with a nice brown followed by 2 rainbows and 30 – 35 cm’s. Water was colouring up fast and I was lucky to extract to other smaller rainbows before it became unfishable. Our plan was to make our way up the river and come out on another ridge. As the level was rising and the colour deteriorating it was too dangerous to continue with this plan so we back tracked and went out the way we came it. We finished off with about 8 fish and kept 3 of the smaller varieties for the smoker.

post-10909-088655300 1321656751_thumb.jpg

Set up camp at 3 mile dam just in time for the showers to start again. Rewarded ourselves with a beer and smoked trout.

post-10909-038168200 1321656807_thumb.jpg

The next day the showers continued and we declared a “ lay day”. It was lovely fussing around camp and getting things organised. That night was the worst I have seen at 3 mile dam. We received 70mm rain and the wind was incredible. Thursday became an enforced “lay day” as well. After lunch we were becoming Camp bound so went for a drive to Cooleman homestead. This is a restored homestead out from rules point and always worth a look for new visitors.

While in the area we continued to Blue water holes and to my surprise Cave Creek was still running clear when all the other rivers were dirty. It became an easy decision where we would fish Friday.

Friday saw Cave Creek much dirtier than Thursday but still fishable. Mick was rewarded with a fish first cast. It took me 3 or 4 runs to encounter fish but they were quite consistent. Fished with single size 12 Flashback and caught a range of fish from 25 – 40 cm’s. I promised myself to come back when the water was clearer and the fish up on dry flies.

Saturday we headed to Eucumbene River. We walked in to an area that would be the least fished and were surprised to find 2 other guys about to fish. We agreed who would fish what water and headed off in our different directions. The next ½ day was to become to most amazing fishing I have had on the Eucumbene. I started with a size 12 Humpy (mostly as a strike indicator) and a size 14 Flash back nymph. In the first run landed 6 good fish 35 – 40 cm’s. I have caught more than 6 in a run before but never of this size and all to the nymph. This set the tone of the day. Most runs produced fish with 1 other run producing 3 fish. Mick did it tough on lure so after ½ day we called it quits and returned to camp.

post-10909-059191200 1321656772_thumb.jpgpost-10909-003236900 1321656788_thumb.jpg

On Sunday the wind blew like mad, 25 – 35 Km’s/ hr. I needed some fly tying materials and headed off to Adaminaby while Mick went sailing in his hobie. On the way back I was keen to fish but did not want to put in a big excursion with these conditions so headed to the upper part of the river were others have fished. Second cast caught a nice rainbow on the nymph so very arrogantly thought this would be a repeat of yesterday. In the next pool a fish look the strike indicator. I thought nothing of this and proceeded on. I caught nothing for the next 1 ½ hours while I tried 4 different nymph sizes and types.

I was not far from giving up when a fish took the strike indicator again. They are trying to tell me something. I put on my trusty 16 Adams and doubled back and caught a lovely rainbow. After that it was consistent fishing each pool and run to the dry. Some lovely browns were landed and lost, best was about 3 lb.s in the old scale. This is an area where the bank is high off the water and it is magic to see the fish coming to the fly. I was so surprised they were on dry when the wind was howling, no sign of a hatch and no rise.

Monday we headed off for a mission to the Tooma Dam. We took the Hobie and the canoe, for me to head up to the river and Mick to troll the dam. The river was running a banker and while very clear it was unfishable. I could get to the first 2 runs that fed into the dam and caught lot’s of small fish and dries and tiny nymphs. Mick managed 1 smallish brown. It was serene heading up the lake in still silent conditions. The trip up is normally the best part of the day.

post-10909-038040200 1321656827_thumb.jpg

Tuesday was back to the appointment in Cave Creek with clearer water and dry flies. The water was clear and they were on dries as hoped. The upper part of the creek is very clear and shallow and this makes for difficult fishing. While I could sight fish to some nice size fish the conditions were very tough. I persevered for an hour for 3 small fish. Conditions further down the creek were very different. The fish readily took a well presented fly and 2-3 fish per run was common. Fish were 30 – 35 c.m rainbows with a couple of larger fish about 1 k.g breaking me up by wrapping around sticks in the water. I stopped counting at 30 and this was lunchtime. Mick was equally rewarded with some lovely fish.

Wednesday we thought the water would have cleared enough to venture back to Yarrongabilly. After 5 days of no rain the water was just fishable. Mick was far more proficient at stream fishing by now and caught some lovely fish on celta’s. I went back to the reliable Humpy / Flashback rig. Fishing was steady but not remarkable. I caught fish in probably every second run with numbers about equal on dry fly and nymph. Throughout the day they would alternate between one fly or the other. The highlight was encountering a patch of nice browns. Caught 1 fish about a kilo and had a bigger fish had a look at the dry. I could not tempt him with smaller dries. Mick had a follow from a big brown in this area. The last part of the fishing is in delightful shallow shaded water and this was surprisingly quiet. We finished the day with a lovely brown on dry.

post-10909-036001000 1321656852_thumb.jpgpost-10909-043906500 1321656870_thumb.jpg

Thursday morning was home day. Mick headed back to Yass and I planned to go home via Cooma with a stop off on the Eucumbene on the way home. We headed back to the same water as Saturday with a fly-fishing acquaintance who had just called in at 3 mile. The day was clear and the water was the best I had seen for the trip. Started about 10.30 and saw there were some huge grey dun’s on the water, by this time I had my normal start rig on so sent it down the first run for a lovely brown to the dry. Next run lost a big rainbow on the dry and got a smaller rainbow. By this stage Geoff had 3 fish with the last a lovely rainbow.

post-10909-021055600 1321656889_thumb.jpg

Next run was quiet so put on the Adams as the duns were grey colour. This did the trick with 4 fishing coming to land. The fish went quiet again with only the odd one coming our way. After lunch went back to the normal rig and I was surprised the fish accepted the 12 Humpy. No luck with smaller nymphs below it. Towards the end of the day went to size 12 pheasant tail nymph and this did well with several more delighting us with their company. We finished the day and the trip in lovely weather and good company.

post-10909-004586300 1321656919_thumb.jpgpost-10909-098762000 1321656945_thumb.jpg

My apologies for the poor quality pictures, learning the settings on new camera.

Geoff

You are killing me Geoff!

I sooooooooooooo wish I could have joined you but the boss keeps informing me that unless I work and bring home the bacon we can't build our house in Tasmania......so I will just have to pretend I was there with you, however we will definately do a Kowmung mission with you, me,Irongus,Luddy and hopefully Mr Chew!.

Great report and nice fish and good to see a BIG smile on a fellow Wandman!

M

What a mission! Gee there are some great fish there, good to see the streamcraft lessons paying off for Mick.

I would love to finish up at my work and go bush for a while but, like Matt, have other pressures keeping my nose to the grindstone.

Oh and the pictures don't seem that bad to me, if they were any clearer I'd be able to hear the water!

Great report Geoff.

Matt and I were feeling very lonely with the lack of fly fishing reports here.

I've been told that the Eucumbene around the Portal is now a lake. Can you confirm if this is true? If it is, I'm going to need some help finding new access points when I do my annual trip in June.

Well done.

Regards Caddis

Top report Geoff :thumbup: I am not surprised you found a few anglers at the Euc even in the hard to get at spots. Its been copping a hammering this season so far!

You can see why though with fish of the quality you got.

And its good to see someone else having a look at Tooma, one of my favourite little Dams. Was it full? Last time I was there (admittedly a year ago) it was chockers.

Caddis, Euc is just about to hit 50% so the Providence flats will be starting to get water back on onto them. My insider in the SMA tells me that they will stop the increase at about 50%. But there is a lot of water in Tantangara still, and I wouldnt be surprised if they move that to Euc yet.

Matt

Matt,

Tooma was down about 3 metres. Does not sound much but it makes access to the river much harder.

Next time I will bush bash around the hill. Making your way up the first part of the river is hell.

Nanook,

Hang in there. Kowmung is just around the corner.

If we get the water I would love to do a Kanangara session. It was great to read your last report just like the " good old days". You got me inspired that the fishing can be just as good as it once was.

Caddis,

I stayed right away from the Portal, Sawyers Hut and the Bridge. It is just crawling with people.Sorry can't help.

All,

Thanks for your comments, makes posting a pleasure.

Geoff