Fingal Bay - Any ideas

Dhutchy

Hello there Raiders, we've booked a week with the kids at Fingal Bay and will probably take the Quinnie. Any ideas or advice on boat ramps, spots, species would be greatly appreciated. Getting the kids onto a few fish would make their Christmas. Thanks to all.

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps

Hi we often stay at shoal bay, there is a beach ramp there if your boats not to big? I could launch a 485 brooker with a 4wd no problems and its pretty quiet, otherwise little beach has a great ramp, with cleaning facilities aect, but it does get a bit crowded. Last time i was up i took the kids to just inside Nelson bay light house and got a couple little of under sized and one just legal snapper ( all went back but great fun for my 3 and 5 year olds). Guys always seem to get whiting just off the sand banks out in the middle of the bay as well.

Have fun.

Luke

David The beach ramp at Fingle Bay is in the South East corner of the beach & for your boat is definatly 4WD so I suggest you use one of the other ramps in the Pt Stevens area.

They are ,

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=22250

Parts of PS are a marine park. Suggest you pick up a map from the tackle store in the Nelson Bay shopping center

http://www.mpa.nsw.gov.au/pdf/psglmp-zoning-plan-hi-res.pdf

The fishing area suggested by Luke is worth a try

Geoff

There is also access and a beach launch at Fingal itself, but with the drawbacks/needs.

I have also launched from Anna Bay, (Little Bay??) down south, when I had a roaring NE wind, and wanted to be in the lee. Also a beach launch, but easy enough to do with Falcon and lowered tyre pressures.

Land based, you can make the pilgrimage out to Fingal Point, but watch the tides, as you can get marooned, and wading back can be treacherous.

I have had success some years ago rock fishing from the headland to the south, as well.

regards

Edited by Alastair

• 1 month later...

Hey thanks to everyone about tips on Fingal Bay... We ended up launching from the decent ramp at Little Beach everytime. We fished all over the Port from Shoal bay back past Nelson Bay, off Pindaemar. We caught smallish snapper, some bream, whiting, several Port Jackson sharks and a few Shovel Nosed Rays.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish but it helps.