Southern Tassie Fly Fishing

Centrepin

For a long time now I have been wanting to fish the southern Tasmania rivers that I had dreamed about while reading Greg French’s book. I bought maps and continued research and had planned for some time. The reports of the most fish in the Tyenna, the biggest fish in the Florentine, the most remote Weld had me mesmerised.

Evi had a conference in Hobart and we had frequent flier points so this had to be acted upon. I travelled down on Tuesday with a plan to fish till Thursday lunchtime and pick Evi up and have the place wired, we could stay till Tuesday.

When I arrived the Tyenna was flowing dirty and hard. Not unfishable but difficult to fish. I set up camp at Mount Field National Park and found some spots upstream. The good news was the fish were productive.

post-10909-041400700 1322638884_thumb.jpg

The bad news was the fish were small.

post-10909-018613300 1322638898_thumb.jpg

I tried several other places upstream with the same story, all small fish. That night my illusions had taken a battering. “What if all the fish are of this size?

Undeterred I headed to the Styx the next day. Now this river is tannin stained and while it looks very dark it was about a normal colour from what I had read. The river was very high which made it not possible to wade and it is impossible to fish from or make your way up the bank, so the Styx was unfishable but incredibly beautiful.

post-10909-020762800 1322638912_thumb.jpg

Made my way back to Tyenna which was looking more fishable and tried downstream from camp. Willows made finding anywhere to cast a fly rod difficult but found a couple of runs. Then things started to change. In the first run a nice fish took the 14 bead head nymph, missed a couple and moved to the next run.

post-10909-028876100 1322638926_thumb.jpg

post-10909-005225600 1322638940_thumb.jpg

This run darted under willows but it looked too good not to fish. Fished across and lifted line at the end of drift to find I was connected to a solid brown. To my luck and amazement he headed up-stream. If he went to the willows I had no chance. Was able to persuade him back into the previous run and landed the last fish, a good fish about 1 Kilo.

post-10909-063888700 1322638950_thumb.jpg

post-10909-044321600 1322638998_thumb.jpg

Not a lot else to report from this foray other than some more small fish and a fish in station that was too clever for me.

Had a rest and moved further downstream and found the fishing tough and unproductive. Sure if the river was lower it would be easier but still saw no interest. It was now getting towards late afternoon and I decided to try one more area. Found a run similar to the run in the morning and it just screamed fish. I was amazed not a touch on a nymph. The Caddis were starting to hatch but only a couple of sporadic rises. The rises started a bit more consistent so put on my normal caddis pattern. No touch. Decided to put on my 14 Adams as the Caddis were of good size and they took it immediately, except I missed them. Fish after fish got a reprieve. I finally stayed connected when I worked out the timing of the strike, had to be much faster than normal. Landed about 5 or 6 nice fish in 3 spots.

post-10909-067441300 1322639017_thumb.jpg

post-10909-030089200 1322639037_thumb.jpg

I went back to the original spot where I started and there were some fish rising consistently now. The trouble was I could not get a good drift from where I was, but still the drift looked OK, the fish would not touch it. I needed to cross the river at this point so saw no loss in wading to the centre to get a good drift and see what happened, and happened it did. My friend took the Adams heartily first cast with the good drift, and tore towards the willows. I was sure I would bust off to keep him out but stayed attached. Finally had to extricate the line from some twigs and found a lovely brown a good kilo.

This taught me what I should have already known about drifts to fish in station.

Next day was bright and clear. Fished about 6km’s downstream from National Park with a guy from Maydena. This was perfect fly conditions with lovely open runs, sunshine and great conditions. Fishing a consistent but not inspiring. Used the 2 nymph rig with most fish taking the number 16 black variety. Got about 5 fish about 1 lb till I had to depart to pick up Evi. I saw this guy was using high stick nymphing. I had read about it but not really appreciated the benefit. The concept is make very short casts and keep as much of the line off the water thus eliminating the chance of the line affecting the drift. I tried my normal method in a couple of runs and was surprised when I tried the high stick method got takes when I didn’t otherwise. I will do more practise and research on this.

We decided to head to Bruny Island for couple of days then head back to Tyenna to fish Saturday.

Bruny Island is about 100k’s in length and incredibly beautiful.

post-10909-082938200 1322639053_thumb.jpg

post-10909-014699700 1322639068_thumb.jpg

Enjoyed the stay, did Salamanca markets on Saturday morning. Arrived at Mount Field National Park just in time for it to start raining.

Conditions looked pretty bleak but headed out alone as I saw this as the last chance for a fish.

I just started at a bridge downstream right in a town. It was weird wading up the river past peoples back yards. Caught a nice fish in the tail of first run then nothing for ½ an hour. Just about to head back when 3 lovely fish came from the same pocket.

Rain started to bucket down and that put an end to the fishing.

Travelled down to Huonville. This is lovely countryside. Checked out access to the Russell, Little Dennison and Weld rivers for future visits.

Talked to lot’s of people about the good Bream fishing in the Derwent and Lune rivers.

Saw some lovely free camp sites around Cockle creek. Oysters are huge, mussels by the bucket load. The Flathead seem prodigious but smaller and in deeper water than we experience in NSW.

The photo’s do not do it justice, it is just lovely

post-10909-087586200 1322639083_thumb.jpg

So we are better armed to tackle the next trip. When the Trout rivers are up we will head to the salt to fish for Bream and forage. Wait it out till conditions are better. Can’t wait to fish some wilderness rivers in Tassie, but that will be another story.

Geoff and Evi

post-10909-016159200 1322638976_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Bream Mad,

While the Tyenna is mostly small fish they get the biggest fish at the start of the season.

In the Pub is saw a picture of 27.7 lb. I could not believe it, I was sure it was a trick. Tracked down the local responsible. Yes it was right. On 4 lb braid and a soft plastic.

Had it in his mouth and was encouragred towards a big net.No other way it was possible.

That morning this guy caught 3 others 6 - 8 lb on soft plastic.

The trouble is > 1 kilo you won't get them out when they take it it is so close to the willows, they are snagged before it begins.

No I have not seen Weigals monster but I came imagine.

Geoff