What A day updated with photos

Slink

Well I headed to the fads today 4 am ,my buddy pulled out at the last minute so I went solo , nothing to report out there really green water and 18 degrees . I trolled different lures for about 3 hours for nothing . Good news is that there are traps everywhere.

It was pretty windy, southerly, so I decided to head in to a spot I found a few weeks ago , I had 10 livies and new that I might have a shot at a king . I had a TLD25 and Stella 8000 and first pass was 2 rats .

This spot is new to me as I found it 2 weeks ago , it looked really fishy but really shallow , less then 10 meters . I sent out 2 yakkas and they got hammered by rats before I could sit down.Next pass I got a double hook-up , by myself I had to grab a rod and drive for deeper water while fighting kings , really exciting.

Anyway this happened all morning , no one around and kings everywhere , I would stop and check my livies sometimes and you should of seen the rats following the yakkas up , just crazy action.

Managed to land and gaff a 8 kg fish solo and was stoked , yahooing to myself , really good fun in shallow water.

I got dusted twice more by bigger fish then got hooked up to a fish that was pulling a locked stella like nothing else , mental pressure. I had to gun it to deeper water before I even turned the reel. Once i had him in 10mts put the e-tec in neutral and worked on the king , adrenalin was maxing ,once he surfaced I had my first glance at what was pulling 25kg drag easily. So I had the gaff in one hand while trying to hold the fish in the other , every time he saw the boat he would turn his head and dive , please , please ,please dont bust me !!

I sank the gaff eventually and hauled my PB king on board . I weighed him on digital scales at a fish shop and he went 10.25 kg gilled and gutted .

Really happy , was a great day by myself and the other good thing is that whilst I was fighting the bigger king he had 3 mates all the same size behind him.

post-15959-071529900 1323070310_thumb.jpg

post-15959-069057200 1323070329_thumb.jpg

post-15959-003948400 1323070354_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slink

well done mate u did better then me i was out at 430am loaded up with squid watched a school of kings fly under the boat in 4m water all rats tryed everywere in the hacking nothing on the chew good shows though, i think i was the only boat out till after 7am gave up downrigging inside... ended up getting bricked out side heads twice locked stella 10000 80lb braid 100lb leader and about 50m of braid gone... to relise i only had 1m of leader left on my spool :ranting2: went home with bout 10 squid for next week.. :yahoo:

well done mate u did better then me i was out at 430am loaded up with squid watched a school of kings fly under the boat in 4m water all rats tryed everywere in the hacking nothing on the chew good shows though, i think i was the only boat out till after 7am gave up downrigging inside... ended up getting bricked out side heads twice locked stella 10000 80lb braid 100lb leader and about 50m of braid gone... to relise i only had 1m of leader left on my spool :ranting2: went home with bout 10 squid for next week.. :yahoo:

Nice work how long was he ?

Any pics

Regards

Ritchie

Ho Formoson , I caught them just outside palmy and the biggest one measured about 115 cm. Cant wait till this weekend to try again, see you out there !

Brad

Was gonna say..Pics or it didn't happened! No doubt you will make Andy's newsletter. top stuff. :thumbup:

Hey Slink, well done on a great solo effort. Palmy / Barrenjoey is a well known spot for kings and they go right around into Pittwater at times. Can I ask you a question though. Were you dragging the yakkas? Trolling or downrigging them? The reason I ask is that I was told recently that kings will only take yakkas head first because of their spines where they will eat a slimey from the tail.

I tried downrigging yakkas up hear at Moon Island down to Caves Reef recently without a touch but as soon as you put a squid on the rats would hammer them. I'm going to try ballooning some yakkas to see if I can entice them.

Also I didn't have any luck at the FADs last year until March. The water up here is still under 20 degrees right out to the 100m and green.

what do you mean there are traps everywhere? i though there was only one fad of each port?

What he means is that there are professional fish traps out there as well as the DPI FAD. The pro traps with their bubble floats and ropes to the trap act just as well as the purpose made FAD. The Dollies will school up under or around anything and pro traps are well known places to try.

What he means is that there are professional fish traps out there as well as the DPI FAD. The pro traps with their bubble floats and ropes to the trap act just as well as the purpose made FAD. The Dollies will school up under or around anything and pro traps are well known places to try.

ah okay cheers, how do i get hold of some gps marks for em or do i need to find em while just roaming around?

You could try asking the pro who owns them!! :tease::tease::tease:

Nah, you just keep an eye out for the bubble floats as your moving about. They are often a good indicator of a fishy location as the pros don't put them there for nothing. It's not a good idea to tie up to them though or anchor up too close but if you do and you see a big boat coming, get out of there real quick. :074::074:

I once went out to the Broken Bay FAD and it held no fish but there were 3 traps in the vicinity and I got dollies just trolling a big loop around them instead.