Mouldy and shrunken boat canopy

Cameron

The canopy on my Allison Fisherman 189 has become quite mouldy and I would like to clean it up, but am hesitant to do so using normal household mould killing products for fear of damaging the material. It has also shrunken to some extent, which makes it quite difficult to do up the press studs securing it to the canopy frame. Are there any products that I can safely use to clean up the mould and hopefully prevent it from recurring? I have noticed that time in the sun seems to allow the canopy to stretch out and makes it a bit easier to use the press studs, but is there some other method that I can use?

The canopy on my Allison Fisherman 189 has become quite mouldy and I would like to clean it up, but am hesitant to do so using normal household mould killing products for fear of damaging the material. It has also shrunken to some extent, which makes it quite difficult to do up the press studs securing it to the canopy frame. Are there any products that I can safely use to clean up the mould and hopefully prevent it from recurring? I have noticed that time in the sun seems to allow the canopy to stretch out and makes it a bit easier to use the press studs, but is there some other method that I can use?

Try selleys sugar soap. Soak it for a while and then give it a bit of a scrub with extra sugar soap and then wash it out. Mould is a difficult one to get rid of. Once you have washed off as much as you can reinstall the canopy while wet as it would have expanded to the right size again. Letting it dry in extreme heat or direct sunlight is what will shrink it again.

I had a canvas boat cover and after sitting in the rain and under trees for many years it got mouldy and i found it almost impossible to clean. I used bleach which got a fair bit of it off but thats only coz my next option was throwing it out so i had nothing to lose. Give the sugar soap a crack its what painters use inside houses on mouldy walls and ceilings.

Musty

All of the home handyman shows I've been listening to on the radio are saying that bleach will not kil mould, only whiten it. They are recommending white vinegar to kill off the mould spores.

i'd give that a go if I were you.

Cheers, Tuffy.

All of the home handyman shows I've been listening to on the radio are saying that bleach will not kil mould, only whiten it. They are recommending white vinegar to kill off the mould spores.

i'd give that a go if I were you.

Cheers, Tuffy.

What about that product called " Wet an Forget" ?

http://www.wetandforget.com.au/wetforget.htm

Edited by GaryO