The Peak and FADs - 03/12/11

dhype

Hey Raiders

Went to the Peak, found schools of jackets.. went home! Sucked!

Cheers

Trung

Mate i LOVE hearing about schools of leatherjackets!!!

If i found them i would be cheering!!!! I'd stock my esky full of the tasty buggers.

Its not their fault clowns keep dropping down $20 knife jigs at them and never learn, seriously, if life throws lemons at you... MAKE LEMONADE!!!

mmmmm deep fried leatherjackets with cracked pepper and lemon with wedges, Too Good :thumbup:

Musty

The bloody jackets were all over the humps at the Peak... with that many around you might as well just throw your $20.00 jigs over the side of the boat and not bother tying it on! Same result in the end!

Wasted all my time and fuel getting there only to find packs of these devil fish.. instant depression.

Trung

You guys have it all wrong... Your doing it all ass about face!!! Why would you go out in 30+ metres of water and try dragging one of the hardest fighting fish up from down that deep when you can do it closer to shore??? I'd much rather be pulling up tasty easy fighting jackets from down deep muuuucccchhhhhhh easier!!!!!!!

Ive been out the peak and tried to load up on the LJ but they would chew everything you throw at them. :1badmood:

Are the LJ out deeper more agressive then in shallow waters?

My mum frys some tasty Lj at home but i jus cant catch enough for a decent feed. :biggrin2:

We don't mind them at all and I grew up eating them for breakfast. When I come across them I always take a bag home before moving on. I will never pass up a feed of them once I'm out there. I've been catching jackets for over 40 years and here are some tricks I've been taught and learnt by myself. Others may have more tips. I taught a mate of mine to catch them in a couple of drops and he was amazed even though he'd been catching snapper for years.

* Handlines are best if you have one on board but you can do just as well with a rod with practice.

* You don't have to use wire but it does help sometimes. It's more about learning to feel them and being quick. You won't always feel a definate bite but just a change in the weight of your line, either heavier or lighter.

* The most important thing is to find what depth they are at and only drop to that depth. I've caught them 5 metres under the boat in 100m of water. Anything that goes past them will be immediatley severed. They eat anything that moves and to them a swivel or a knot in the line is edible. I've been told that if you use a color graduated jigging line like Tuna Terror they will actually see the color change and bite it off.

* Some people say don't touch your line with bait on your fingers but I don't give that much cred.

* When bottom bashing I always make a slow count in my head as I'm dropping down. I've got to the point where I can time my count to about 2 per metre so 40m of water I count to maybe 75 or 80. Keep a feel on your line and if there are jackets there you'll feel the line slow down or stop before hitting bottom. This is your depth. From then on just drop down to that count or better still just above it. Jackets will swim up to meet your bait and you can slowly (or quickly) lift the whole school.

* They are voracious feeders and will attack anything that moves but their teeth are like guillotines and you must be very quick to lift as soon as you feel anything or in fact sometimes nothing. If you hesitate you will lose your gear in a flash. While fishing for flatties a few months back if you left a fish on for too long or wound up too slow the jackets ate it.

You cannot successfully fish for any other species once they have found you. Take what you need for a feed and then move. On a different recent flatty trip we could anchor, drop down for one or 2 flatties, then have to pick up and move a couple of hundred metres and repeat. Staying in one spot meant lost gear.

If I dropped a single knife jig, I'd do what dhype did. Go home, but I'd take some of the tasty buggers with me.

The bloody jackets were all over the humps at the Peak... with that many around you might as well just throw your $20.00 jigs over the side of the boat and not bother tying it on! Same result in the end!

Wasted all my time and fuel getting there only to find packs of these devil fish.. instant depression.

Trung

Solution = Epic Adventures :)

Kirst, "The Peak" is a deep water fishing spot well off the coast of Sydney (well maybe not so deep to some haha). Basically its a small mountain on the ocean floor. There's coordinates in our GPS section but I couldn't make them convert to a lat/long that google maps would read to show you.

I've never been there so forgive me if I have any details wrong :)

Kirst, "The Peak" is a deep water fishing spot well off the coast of Sydney (well maybe not so deep to some haha). Basically its a small mountain on the ocean floor. There's coordinates in our GPS section but I couldn't make them convert to a lat/long that google maps would read to show you.

I've never been there so forgive me if I have any details wrong :)

the above is correct.. and its approx 12km from Botany Bay heads and only a few kms from the Botany FADs... i got out there in my small Polycraft without an issue so it not that far out (i pick my days of cause).

Water at the Peak is around the 75m mark and myth has it that kingfish patrol the area...

Mate i LOVE hearing about schools of leatherjackets!!!

If i found them i would be cheering!!!! I'd stock my esky full of the tasty buggers.

Its not their fault clowns keep dropping down $20 knife jigs at them and never learn, seriously, if life throws lemons at you... MAKE LEMONADE!!!

mmmmm deep fried leatherjackets with cracked pepper and lemon with wedges, Too Good :thumbup:

Musty

Great minds think alike.

I have gone to a bit of trouble over the years to develop techniques and tackle specifically for them.

I too would be cheering and getting my bag.

Unfortunately I haven't been to sea for a while. I have no sealegs - maybe one day I'll get them back.....

Tony

Hey Raiders

Went to the Peak, found schools of jackets.. went home! Sucked!

Cheers

Trung

Trung,

Do you expect me to believe that you went home ?:1prop:

You always have plan B and C, extra gear, bait, etc.

You always go home with a feed.

I reckon you spun up a few flatties, squid, kings, tailor, trevally and a jew or two.

Unless you were on a mate's boat to get out to the peak and he wasn't as well organised as you...

This would be the first time in a very long time you went home with a doughnut.

They are the two possibilities when fishing the peak or the 12 mile.

Kingies or jackets.

Bring gear for both. I can give you some ideas if you like......

PM me.

Tony

Trung,

Do you expect me to believe that you went home ?:1prop:

You always have plan B and C, extra gear, bait, etc.

You always go home with a feed.

I reckon you spun up a few flatties, squid, kings, tailor, trevally and a jew or two.

Unless you were on a mate's boat to get out to the peak and he wasn't as well organised as you...

This would be the first time in a very long time you went home with a doughnut.

They are the two possibilities when fishing the peak or the 12 mile.

Kingies or jackets.

Bring gear for both. I can give you some ideas if you like......

PM me.

Tony

hahaha ... You know me too well... I did not exactly go straight home empty handed! :wacko:

I did end up spinning for some flatties on the flats and DR the bay on the way back to the ramp! How can you not? :biggrin2:

Took home a feed of squid and a few fish.. Nothing to write home about though....

Ended up chatting at the boat ramp for 4 hours and bumped into plenty Raiders who dropped by for a good old jolly chat! Nice to meet all you guys! :thumbup:

I'll take you up on you tips on the peak/12 mile... I suck out there!

Cheers

Trung