Trailering tips for new boat owners.

Fab1

WARNING-Ensure vehicle is equipped with approved towing equipment that is RATED for VEHICLES MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY,FOLLOW VEHICLES OWNERS MANUAL AND SEE STATE LAWS IN REGARDS TO TOWING.FAILURE TO COMPLY COULD INVALIDATE ALL INSURANCES IN THE EVENT OF INJURY OR DEATH.

IMPORTANT-IT IS RECOMMENDED YOU HAVE YOUR VEHICLE INSPECTED AND SERVICED BY A LICENSED MOTOR MECHANIC ON A REGULAR BASIS.

But if your prepared to do a little work yourself and learn and save yourself a heap of cash and get job satisfaction in the process get yourself a workshop manual for your particular vehicle.

ABOUT MYSELF-Iv,e been a licensed motor mechanic/spraypainter for just on 22 years now,Mechanical apprenticeship was completed with BMW and Spray painter apprenticeship completed with Toyota and have worked for a number of prestige workshops/dealerships and have worked on or painted vehicles including-your average holdens,falcons,toyotas,nissans etc to your prestige vehicles including-bmw,mercedez benz,volvo,porsche,audi, etc.During that time i have come across owners who look after their vehicles and for their efforts maintenance costs in the long run are very low and on the other side of the coin iv,e come across people who totaly neglect their vehicles and what would have been a relatively small repair turns into something that costs them many, more times than the repair would have cost had they paid attention to it earlier.Iv,e also had experience towing trailers ranging from horse floats to box trailers for the past 17 years.

I want you to remember there is a saying in our trade it goes like this:YOU CAN PAY ME A LITTLE NOW OR YOU CAN PAY ME MANY,MANY,MANY MORE TIMES LATER!

Any way these are the things i do:

-PRE-DEPARTURE-

1:Check BATTERY TERMINALS/EARTH STRAP for corrosion and security,if found to be corroded clean with a terminal brush and apply a smear of petroleum jelly to posts/terminals and tighten firmly.DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN TERMINALS.

2:Check battery FLUID LEVELS and top up if necessary with DISTILLED water.

3:Check COOLING SYSTEM including radiator cap,expanion tank,radiator/heater hoses for leaks/fatigue or loose/broken clamps and replace if necessary.

4:Check coolant level and top up of necessary using ANTI-FREEZE mixed in the correct ratio.

5:Check all drive belts for wear,splits,glazing and tension.Adjust or replace if necessary.

6:Inspect AIR FILTER and clean or replace if necessary.TIP:paper element filters can be blown out with compressed air from reverse side with air gun.

7:Check TYRES and SPARE for correct tread depth/wear or foreign objects embeded in the TREAD and INFLATE to CORRECT pressure when tyres are COLD.

8:Check all vehicle CONTROLS and LIGHTS are in working order,pay particular attention to the HANDBRAKE.

9:Check TOWBAR/BALL for loose mounts/cracks/split welds and grease ball with a light smear of grease if necessary.

WARNING-DO NOT TOW IF FAULTS ARE FOUND UNTIL RECTIFIED.

10:Check TRAILER PLUG/WIRING for chaffed/cut/corroded or damaged wiring/terminals and clean/lubricate or repair if necessary.

11:Carry SPARE engine fluids,drive belts,radiator hoses,light globes,fuses,electrical tape,wd 40 etc and necessary toolkit needed in the event of roadside repairs inclding a suitable JACK and WHEEL BRACE TO FIT VEHICLE/TRAILER WHEEL NUTS.

NOTE:Refer to OWNERS/WORKSHOP MANUAL if unsure about any of the procedures listed above.

I hope this has helped you all understand there is more to towing than just hitching up and driving off without a second thought.