multi hull boats

PRED-ATOR

Hey Raider's,

Just wondering what the ride is like on a twin hull cat style boat.

Are they really as safe and stable as the ads make out? also how do they perform in a head on sea?

I am referring to aluminium boats only such as sailfish and marlin broard bill.

Cheers

Hey Raider's,

Just wondering what the ride is like on a twin hull cat style boat.

Are they really as safe and stable as the ads make out? also how do they perform in a head on sea?

I am referring to aluminium boats only such as sailfish and marlin broard bill.

Cheers

The other popular brand is Webster , 4.9mt is the most common size.

The ride , compared to mono hulls of a similar length is like chalk & cheese , the faster you go , particually into a chop the better the ride

Stability . This photo will give an indication. The 2 guys on one side would be around 220kg & there is not much lean on the boat.

post-731-081387300 1323829617_thumb.jpg

There are several other members on FR who have Websters

Geoff

Only have been in one tin one, a Marlin Broadbill charter boat out of Sydney....

Didn't like the consistant hull slapping all day, even at rest.....

Seems the tunnel isnt high enough in it, drove me mad!

Very stable tho.

I have fished out of a little glass multi, a Ocean Whaler 5.5m

Cracker boat for inside and light sports fishing out the front. Something I would consider buying if I had a garge suitable. Would love it for my harbour/ hawkesbury fishing.

Greg

Guest Aussie007

Here are a couple of video's covering ride & handling that may be of interest

Geoff

wow thats like a cat on carpet in corners! would have liked to see more wave jumping on angles instead of strait up and over the wave

Only have been in one tin one, a Marlin Broadbill charter boat out of Sydney....

Didn't like the consistant hull slapping all day, even at rest.....

Seems the tunnel isnt high enough in it, drove me mad!

Very stable tho.

I have fished out of a little glass multi, a Ocean Whaler 5.5m

Cracker boat for inside and light sports fishing out the front. Something I would consider buying if I had a garge suitable. Would love it for my harbour/ hawkesbury fishing.

Greg

Come on mate, I've got a 4.5m boat and I think it's a good size, now I have a complex knowing a 5.5m is little!!! And besides, size doesn't matter, does it.....?

I've been in a couple of bigger cats, 30-40 foot, and great. I've raced a smaller 20 foot in from a few clicks out and didn't seem to have much on me, bogged in just as much and did it just as tough. I am well over powered but so that might have something to do with it.

Edited by Onajewagain

Come on mate, I've got a 4.5m boat and I think it's a good size, now I have a complex knowing a 5.5m is little!!! And besides, size doesn't matter, does it.....?

I've been in a couple of bigger cats, 30-40 foot, and great. I've raced a smaller 20 foot in from a few clicks out and didn't seem to have much on me, bogged in just as much and did it just as tough. I am well over powered but so that might have something to do with it.

:biggrin2:

I was running a 28fter and looking to upsize...

There arent to many smaller multi's than 5.5m and compared to the charter boat it's small ;)

As they say, "it's all in how you use it!"

5.5m on a flat deck boat with casting platforms and rails would make a perfect harbour inshore boat but would suck taking it to the Peak or further.

I more was talking ride than anything else.

Me, I like speed so mono is my cup of tea. :flying:

Guest twitchie(U-Make-Em )

Hi

I owned a Webster for quite a while it had its good points its ride was ok it was stable at rest a great fishing platform. but that pulled it up they are wet they will stand up in heavy wind . They must frighten the fish with the noise they make at rest .The one i owned both pontoons split .

They were badly finished . in the end i got sick of getting cracks welded and never knowing when your pontoons might fill up with water . if you buy a twin hull get a glass one . i owned a shark cat before the webster it was a great boat but very heavy with twin motors and made out of glass.

hi

i used to own a 18ft sharkcat it was just fine for eveything as long as you drove it properly never broadside to the swell.they are heavy and use 2 big motors if you have a landcruiser and money for service 2 motors and fuel they are the best.now have a seafarer viking after a vsea.mostly fish on my own now

cheers

would have liked to see more wave jumping on angles instead of strait up and over the wave

Gazza Jumping waves in any boat at an angle can be very dangerous.

Having said that , there was a video around in 2003 showing Websters in various conditions one of which , at high speed , they hit a big wave at an angle , I think unintentionally , the boat landed nearly on it's side but quickly straightend up.

There may have been a few brown stains from the crew but the footage was quite spectacular.

Geoff

another option is the markham whaler 4.9 - 7m what ever size suits i think they are now called markham dominator i have a 4.9 at my house atm and was very happy with it being twin motor i found has its ups and downs more cost in servicing ect but if one goes whilest outside u always have another engine so i guess its a good thing... we got caught in a wind storm about a month ago coming back from belambi after a cracking session on the reds.. :biggrin2: back to porthacking it was in 2+m swell 30+knot winds = not fun... 2 boats behind us 20ft+ mono hulls couldnt keep up with us.. that was my first ride in a twin and i was impressed and very stable

Hi,

I generally fish from my 6.5m mono glass boat - all offshore.

I sometimes get to use a mates 2400GF sailfish with twin 135hp honda's. In answer to your question, they are very stable with heaps of deck space and the sailfish likes to have more horsepower applied as it then sits higher in the water. The higher the sailfish sits the better the ride. They blast through close sharp choppy water. I like having a play with the sailfish but the glass boat is more to my liking - it all comes down to personal preferences - a bit like the age old Penn Int'l - v - Shimano Tiagra arguement. If you're contemplating the alloy cat then sailfish gets my vote - glass cats are too heavy = too much horesepower = too many $$$$$$$.

Cheers,

Rabs.

Edited by Rabs