Blue Mountains fly fishing (NEW BROWN TROUT RECORD ON FLY)

cc118

Hi Raiders,

I received my new NS5 last night and just had to take it for a test drive. After making a call to Flycaster we agreed to meet at Thompsons Creek Dam for a fish. The next morning I met Flycaster and Les at the car park at 8am and what looked to be a great day. When we arrived at the dam we noticed several large fish rising outside of casting range. Although conditions looked great, the fish just weren’t playing ball.

By midday, not a touch and I had to think of something to save the day. I’ve been using very heavy tippet (9.5lbs) as I was smoked the day before by a large Bow. I decided to downgrade to 4.5lbs thinking the strike rate would improve and I would just have to back the drag right off and play a big fish. It wasn’t long before I was getting downs on the indicator with, what I suspect, small fish missing the hook. Out of nowhere, a large Bow circled my indicator and went down to take one of my nymphs. “Fish on” I yelled to Ross and the NS5 bent to its first fish. After a couple of intense minutes, the hook pulled and you could probably hear my disappointment back in Sydney.

After losing that big boy, I didn’t think I would get another crack at a good fish, but to my amazement, a few drifts later, the indicator made another trip to the bottom and I was on again. The fish fought hard down deep with lots of headshakes. After seeing the fight from a distance, Flycaster knew I was onto a good fish and came to the rescue with his net. Each time we thought we had him, the big brown would dodge the net, but eventually we had him.

The brown measured 64 cm and weighted 5.5 lbs. A great consolation for missing the big Bow and possible a new Fishraider record.

Stewy, could you please verify?

post-13314-039244400 1323865953_thumb.jpg

post-13314-077174800 1323866005_thumb.jpg

Regards

Caddis

Congrates Chris!

Cool fish on fly mate, can't wait to head up there again.

Last trip I had one of them out the middle belly floppers try eat my Dog X on the second cast of the morning, freaked the crap out of me but missed the hooks....

Now I have my new 5wt outfit, just waiting for some new waders to arrive before the next trip up!

G

Hey Caddis,

Great catch! I think this has already been mentioned before but what general type flies are you using? Do you fish a dry as an indicator? Do you prospect likely looking water or are you sight casting to fish? Also, what sort of distances do you need to cast?

Thanks for any info,

Klainz.

Hi Raiders,

luderick -angler, I got your message and I'll e-mail my thoughts on the NS5.

klainz, I use home made flies, not pretty to look at, but does the trick. Dark grey nymph with gold bead head.

I've been giving the dam a good flogging over the past couple of weeks, and I've seen plenty of fish 6-8lbs. Fish are usually at your feet, there is no need to cast long distance.

Best

Caddis

Hi Raiders

Caddis and my other mate, Les had a very slow day at Thommo's yesterday. Poor Caddis had a very frustrating day trying to blood his new 5 wt "Cannon". He's spent quite a few days at Thommo's lately trying to get a monster, and yesterday's fabulous brown was very well deserved. It was the best conditioned brown I've seen and the best fish I've SEEN out of Thommo's. Congratulations Chris on breaking your own record. Knowing you, you'll probably break it again before Christmas.

Wishing all Raiders a very Happy Christmas and a Happy and fishfilled New Year.

Cheers Flycaster (Ross)

• 2 weeks later...