Rocks at Merry Beach

Yowie

Headed to Merry Beach last week with the caravan and stayed for 6 days. Early in the week the southerly was blowing hard and the swell was over 2 metres.

During the middle of the week the wind eased a bit but the swell was still lumpy. The rocks on the southern side of the beach is the place to fish, however, along the front the waves were sending water and spray to about 10 metres above the rock shelf so no fishing there.

Tried along the rock shelf where I could see the beach. Some of the waves surged through fairly hard so that the line was heading in the direction of the beach in no time.

Bought a packet of blue bait, slightly smaller than pilchards and salted so they hold on the hook better. Threw out a few on ganged hooks one evening after sun set, only one bite and it was a 32cm bream. A large wave caught it as I was winding it in and it bounced across the surface like a flying fish. I was using a 12 foot beach rod with 12 pound line on an Alvey side cast reel.

Fished the next morning after sun rise, the wind had dropped but the swell was still lumpy. Cut the blue bait in half and fed it along a 2/0 longshank hook with a small ball sinker sitting on top of the hook. Threw it into the foaming water and pulled out a bream on the second cast. The waves were keeping the bait floating near the surface and some salmon moved in. Hooked 6 from 40 to 59cm, all released. Quite a bit of fun in the large waves, had to wait for a bigger wave to roll in so that I could wash the larger ones onto a ledge before lifting them up.

Did not fish after that. Other groups of people fished the rocks at different times, some happy to catch salmon and others were not. Some were using pilchards under floats.

One bloke I spoke to said he only caught a tailor of 1.5 kg, later in the conversation he said, maybe it was 1.2 kg, so I don't really know how big it was.

On the Saturday, the swell had dropped a bit, so one fisherman tried along the front ledge for several hours. He pulled out 3 salmon and a kingie that looked undersize. He said he also caught a tailor that he put out as a livie, and after a while something big grabbed it and busted him off.

No-one fished the beach as it was churned up with sand and a lot of weed, however, the waves were a good size for body surfing and the water not too cold (except for the first dive in).

Yowie.

Thats a great little spot with plenty of options when the weather and sea are right. Try fishing the beaches around the south corner.

A bit of a hike but can pay good dividends. Also on your way around the rocks there are little holes you can throw a line into.

Trevally and bream often hide in there. Plenty of gummy sharks can be caught there off the beach. They are very easy to cook. Leave the skin on.

Not sure if you go there alot so I maybe telling you something you already know. Do you eat at the trucky stop a few K`S this side of the turn off.

I don`t go there anymore as mate sold his van a few years ago and the drive a bit too long. Some great memories.

Have not been there for 15 or more years, not really changed that much since I first visited over 40 years ago. Usually a couple of fish about, and on the first visit managed a feed of abalone as well, now only limited to 2 per person.

Have not eaten at that truck stop, however, friends always stop there and say the food is good.

Yowie.

Edited by yowie

The whole region offers great fishing. Round the southern corner there are snapper to be had off the stones, and Pretty beach usually has a population of whiting in residence. Plus Bawley and kioloa to the north offer great beach and rock fishing options. Heading that way at christmas and v excited.

• 3 weeks later...

I fished Pretty Beach last week and certainly found the Whiting. Good sizes and numbers every day. Worms, as ever, were the go. Some poor wormless souls toiled with pilchards only to watch my harvest and return empty handed. I was very keen to try Snapper Point though. From the Snapper Point lookout it seems clear there are some excellent deep ledges and presumably, as the name suggests, a resident snapper community. Would love to hear if anybody has fished that spot and knows the snapper situation.