Flat water Blackfish

stormy

I haven't been fishing for a few weeks now, due to wet weather and big swells. Decided to wet a line near Bass and Flinders Point this morning, and found the swell to be non existent and the water to be gin clear. Actually spotted a couple of reef areas out further than I normally allow the float to drift, and they held the fish today.

My mate John has been involved in a mentoring programme for kids with problems of one sort or another. He had asked if we could take his 14 yr old along and show him how to fish. Explained and showed him how to bait up and cast with the centrepin. He got lots of overruns, so I ended up baiting and casting for him. He would pull the line off the reel to feed it out in the drift and forget to hold a finger against the drum. It kept spinning, spewing line onto the rocks etc. I told John - "your turn". The kid hooked a good fish and on the strike, didn't have any pressure against the spool. Overrun!!!. Dropped fish. I hooked one and told him to hold my rod and slowly reel the fish in while I untangled his line. Turned around and saw my rod tip almost on the rocks and then flick up. Pulled hooks I thought, but then I saw my float heading east and disappearing under the water. He had nicked the line on ther barnacles and pinged the fish, float and leader off. Didn't mind losing the float, but the flouro red tubing which fixes the depth also went off into the blue depths. It is impossible to find these days and I have very little left. Oh well. I give him back his rod, cast out and baited, while I went to re-rig. Next thing I look up and he is onto another one. He landed it and was high fiving John. Sorted him out for another drift and saw his float disappear. Strike, I say. Overrun on the reel, line wrapped around the handles, ping!!! Another float, red tubing and fish disappearing into the depths. Had to chuckle though.

It was an absolutely glorious morning and the fish were solid. My best went 42cm but I thought it was much bigger. It was fat and solid. I ended up with 6 fish in 2 hours, John got two and Blake got one. I am really pleased to have helped in a small way with Johns programme and better yet, helped Blake in landing a good sized blackie. He wasn't impressed with the bleeding and cleaning part of the session though.

post-11324-026984800 1324433762_thumb.jpg

post-11324-020324800 1324433766_thumb.jpg

Guest hawkesbass

Nothing wrong with a egg beater i use 2500 stradic 6 pnd braid on 10'6 wilson blackfish rod im like the young bloke too uncoordinated to use a centrepin reel

Good on ya Stormy for taking the young fella out hope he gets the hang of the pin quick!!

i have found a few nice spots down the bay at the moment they are going off taking the 7 weight Sage on Saturday to try them on the fly they are so thick!

As for the old centrpin v eggbeater! Well i'm 36 and started at age 4 wit han eggbeater by age 9 I was using an Avon royal and getting horrible overun! It wasnt until about age 13 that I could use a centrepin and cast it with ease! Some folks can never master it just like some folk can not cast a fly line! Its horse for course and eggbeaters have theirpalce particuarly baitrunners, some folk prefer one over theother my preference is for the pin as it allows a lot of feel and control and is a grerat thrill on a strong run just palming that spool (keep your knuckles clear!!!!)

Edited by luderick -angler

Good on ya Stormy for taking the young fella out hope he gets the hang of the pin quick!!

i have found a few nice spots down the bay at the moment they are going off taking the 7 weight Sage on Saturday to try them on the fly they are so thick!

As for the old centrpin v eggbeater! Well i'm 36 and started at age 4 wit han eggbeater by age 9 I was using an Avon royal and getting horrible overun! It wasnt until about age 13 that I could use a centrepin and cast it with ease! Some folks can never master it just like some folk can not cast a fly line! Its horse for course and eggbeaters have theirpalce particuarly baitrunners, some folk prefer one over theother my preference is for the pin as it allows a lot of feel and control and is a grerat thrill on a strong run just palming that spool (keep your knuckles clear!!!!)

Yep, I'm an eggbeater. I have about as much co ordination as steady eddy on the turps!

I do envy those who have the art down to a tee, so I may need to persist to crack the code, after all, no one will take me serious lobbing up to a ledge with my rod and reel....

Yep, I'm an eggbeater. I have about as much co ordination as steady eddy on the turps!

I do envy those who have the art down to a tee, so I may need to persist to crack the code, after all, no one will take me serious lobbing up to a ledge with my rod and reel....

If your catching fish and playing by the rules I will!!!!!

HaHa. Most of my friends use egg beaters. If using a small bobby cork, then they are far easier to cast distance, without looping the leader over the float, than 'proper' gear does. To lift a finger off the Avon (or other centrepin) and see the line roll off effortlessly as the float goes out in the wash, is better for me. Also the fight and control of the fish is good on the centrepin. Each to their own. I have use egg beaters as well, at times.

Happy Christmas to all.