Narrabeen Beach - 21/12

RoyBoySpots

Hello all,

First fine-weather day of my christmas break - so I decided to hit the beach and see what might be out there... well... can tell you that there wasnt much! I arrived at 10am and burlied up a very fishy-looking gutter, and left at about 3.30pm. Got a number of small bites, which I am sure were small whiting, but considering I was after flathead, I didnt have the gear or the bait. Somehow, 3/0 hooks and pilchards just didnt cut the mustard today! Oh well... will try again tomorrow!

Has anybody else had success on Narrabeen Beach recently?

Cheers,

James

Edited by RoyBoySpots

I tried too and i live on Narrabeen Beach. There was a few in close gutters that looked productive. :ranting2: Narrabeen is like that sometimes.

I would suggest Collaroy for in close gutters, and use beach worms. I mean just a few meters out, you would be amazed.

Look for that sharp drop just from the shore. You see punters casting right over the fish with star sinkers and rods in a plastic pipe and wonder why no fish.

Live worms at Narra Bait and Tackle work well. I prefer to spend 5 bucks then stuff around these days.

The lagoon mouth is open again, if you can stomach seeing the tribes of people take everything with a heartbeat it can be ok.

Would love to take a six pack and sit back and watch Dept of Fisheries go through the lot of them.

I stick to the surf.

Went down to the fishy looking gutters again today. Everything looked great... great weather... great tide... great conditions (swell not too big/not too small)... bought some fresh worms and had some more appropriate tackle - but still noooo fish. I think that other fishos have the same ideas of grandure as me, as at one stage, there were 6 of us spread over about 200m (we pretty much each had a small gutter or shared one). I caught a number of sand crabs, the biggest going to nearly 15cm across the body! Im not sure how big they can get, but I am sure this one was the biggest I have ever seen. It managed to get the hook down its mouth - was interesting to get the hook back... but I did and it was returned back to the water unharmed! Still cant work it out as I have fished Narrabeen beach for years and I dont think I have ever come back empty handed - let alone twice in a row! Once bitten, twice shy, as they say... Anywho... might try a different gutter tomorrow.

Cheers,

James

Thought about going to the lake... just doesnt really do it for me... cant explain why! I just love beach fishing, and as I said previously, I never seem to be disapointed by always bringing back a feed (with the exception of the last two outings). Shouldnt have moved off the beaches - finger off the pulse!

The lagoon mouth is open again, if you can stomach seeing the tribes of people take everything with a heartbeat it can be ok.

Would love to take a six pack and sit back and watch Dept of Fisheries go through the lot of them.

I stick to the surf.

I couldn't agree more with that mate. I fish the lake often, easy to spot in my grey akubra lol. I'll wade the lake for several hours catching solid flatties, bream, tailor, long toms and anything else that comes knocking and you see countless families catching tiny bream from the caravan park and the occasional small flathead and nothing goes back in the water, it's sickening. The same goes for when you walk past the rockwall overlooking the lake entrance, families with buckets of tiny fish, I just want to kick them in, the buckets that is.

Edited by S&S

I couldn't agree more with that mate. I fish the lake often, easy to spot in my grey akubra lol. I'll wade the lake for several hours catching solid flatties, bream, tailor, long toms and anything else that comes knocking and you see countless families catching tiny bream from the caravan park and the occasional small flathead and nothing goes back in the water, it's sickening. The same goes for when you walk past the rockwall overlooking the lake entrance, families with buckets of tiny fish, I just want to kick them in, the buckets that is.

I do see this quite often aswell, BUT in saying that i have seen alot of these bucket loads of small fish go back, and i know it is not ideal, but i guess the family

who take them home to mince or soup these small fish give a bad name to all who fish and don't catch and release straight away? :thumbdown:

- BTW S&S when are you free to hit the lake for a SP sesh? :thumbup:

Yesterday morning I tried off the rocks at the south end of monavale, for one small (~31cm) bream caught on a piece of a squid's "wing". But it was the only bite I felt. There was a heap of kelp washing about, and that always makes the fish harder to feel.

In the arvo I had a work meeting close to narrabeen, and stopped for a quick sesh jush after low tide. The gutters were empty, but they did look inviting. I had just a few casts into the rips with a soft plastic (reminder to self: pack shorts! in the car). No bites, but it was not a huge surprise since the tide was still very very low.

• 2 weeks later...

ive been to the lake 2 times in the last week, and as you said, it sickens me the amount of people who dont give a hoot about throwing the small fish back......

yes its all fun and games for kids to catch a fish, but there will be no fish left if they dont throw em back......

anyway, 2 times we came away with nothign really, small bream, and a few lil mullet...... seems the lake has changed a heap since they re opened it, it is way more tidal now......

a mate of mine got his fishign lisence checked the other day off the rocks too......