King Popper Outfit

brendong

Was looking at getting a King popper outfit...i'll only use it half a dozen times a year so I don't really want to drop too much coin on it, but i don't buy rubbsh either....was looking at the Shimano Terez 30 to 50 lb 7'2 (TZS72MHPW) mathced with an Okuma Salina II 8000 or maybe a Shimano 8000 of some description, with 50 lb braid, What do you think. (I normally play in the light tackle zone for bream, flats, whiting and bass so am a bit out of my depth on the heavier gear.)

I reckon with the Terez I could get away with soaking a live bait too or dropping a few jigs too?

• 5 weeks later...

Poddy Trapper,

I just bought this rod to go with my Stella 10000 for my upcoming trip to Vanuatu, Its hopefully going to get a flogging over there. It seems to be the goods and I just love the power grip.

I was in the same boat as yourself because I fish 99% of my time of the rocks so I wanted something cheapish that is didn't compromise on quality. I was looking at the 7"8 popping rod and it was just to much of a beast and really only limited my self to throwing poppers and maybe a bit of land based stuff. At least with this rod you could drop jigs (100g) throw some lures and fish some baits.

The only bad thing I could say about the rod is the colour, But who really cares?

Im gonna give it some real heat in Vanuatu so ill let you know how it holds up.

Cheers

Jack

Mate I am looking at something very similar and am pricing up a terez as we speak. They seem to be geeting some great reviews. Rather than the Salina however I am looking at the Ryobi Carnelian. Good luck

Just remember that the Terez rods are designed for braid, so they seem a little soft, as if they have no backbone. Depending on how you pop and what poppers you use, you might not be able to get the right action to the popper via that rod.

Just remember that the Terez rods are designed for braid, so they seem a little soft, as if they have no backbone. Depending on how you pop and what poppers you use, you might not be able to get the right action to the popper via that rod.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PT ,

I have just bought myself the xtra heavy duty Terez and a stella 20000. Cost a bomb for the combo but now I have it and I expect that it will last forever and my young fella will enjoy it later on. I have heard that the rods are the goods and they have alot of hurt to dispense on predators.My mate in the tackle store loaded it up for me and I was very impressed with the curve and power in the lift . I think that the combo you are going for will be sweet and also versatile so livebaiting , trolling etc will not be a problem.Keep us posted on your thoughts once popping a massive king !! Good luck

Hi PT ,

I have just bought myself the xtra heavy duty Terez and a stella 20000. Cost a bomb for the combo but now I have it and I expect that it will last forever and my young fella will enjoy it later on. I have heard that the rods are the goods and they have alot of hurt to dispense on predators.My mate in the tackle store loaded it up for me and I was very impressed with the curve and power in the lift . I think that the combo you are going for will be sweet and also versatile so livebaiting , trolling etc will not be a problem.Keep us posted on your thoughts once popping a massive king !! Good luck

Thanks Slink...I think I will do it one day and i reckon the Terez will be the one....unfortunately I snapped a t-curve flight 1-4 kg at christmas time so replaced that given I sp, blade, pop etc for bream/whitting/flat and bass 500 times more than i pop for kings....still all the above info is killer guys...thanks heaps for contributing....