Outboard ran without water

puregeek

My mate forgot to turn off the engine after the boat was put back onto the trailer this morning. Engine probably ran for about 30-40sec (from the ramp to the car park) on idle before i got out of the car and yelling "Turn the engine off!". Used the muff to flush the engine when i got back and looks like everything is pumping and working ok. Read online that i may have damaged the impeller. Is there any chance of permanent damage to the engine or anything else? The engine is a Evinrude Etec 90. My mate and i are no longer mates :074:

My mate forgot to turn off the engine after the boat was put back onto the trailer this morning. Engine probably ran for about 30-40sec (from the ramp to the car park) on idle before i got out of the car and yelling "Turn the engine off!". Used the muff to flush the engine when i got back and looks like everything is pumping and working ok. Read online that i may have damaged the impeller. Is there any chance of permanent damage to the engine or anything else? The engine is a Evinrude Etec 90. My mate and i are no longer mates :074:

mate, you dont have anything to worry about, 30 seconds on idle with no water pumping wouldnt be anywhere near long enough to overheat the outboard to a point where you would have damaged it.

if in doubt though, get it checked out at a qualified Marine mechanic.

Hi, as the guys have said no mechanical damage would occur in such a time and even if you ran it for a long time without water the EMM will shut that engine down before permanent damage can happen. The water pump is another story and I have seen impellers damaged running less time than that without water while sometimes they last fine running longer without water. Only way to know for sure is to remove the gearbox and inspect the impeller.

Cheers,

Huey.

Theres a very minor chance that the Impellor has been damaged, if it pumped water again straight away I would say you are 99% clear. Tell your mate to supply the beer for the next trip and make it his job to watch the telltale the whole trip :)