Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to a bit south of Jibbon Bombie. No wind and no drift. Only managed 1 blue spot flattie and a few small spikies.

Moved a couple of times but no good, so I headed to Bate Bay. First drop was a spiky, and as I wound him up, something grabbed hold then let go under the boat. The 'something' was a mako shark about a metre long. It swam back, chewed off the sinker and swam away, so I tied on another sinker and dropped down again. As soon as the line hit the bottom, it took off towards the surface, it was the mako again, and he again chewed off the sinker. The baits were not touched. 2 small snapper sinkers chewed off.

Shortly after that, a light southerly started blowing so the drift picked up. Every drop was a spiky flathead as soon as the line hit the bottom, must have been hundreds of them about. I was thinking of heading home, but had one last drift in deeper water. Still plenty of spikies, but I hooked another 3 blue spots and 5 tiger flatties. The tigers were not big, only around the 36 to 38 mark, but chunky little fish that are good eating. A current suddenly moved in, opposite to the drift, so I needed a lot of line to hold bottom. The fish stopped biting as soon as the current appeared, so headed for home.

Yowie.

well done yowie i was out 2day in 40m of water of cronulla about 7am we got heaps of sand flathead around 35-40 around 10 for a feed droped a bigger model next to the boat :ranting2: wind came up abit headed in and was dead inside as groper said lack of warm water and no bait fish = no pelagics didnt even try for a king got a feed and had some fun up south west arm wake skating

well done yowie i was out 2day in 40m of water of cronulla about 7am we got heaps of sand flathead around 35-40 around 10 for a feed droped a bigger model next to the boat :ranting2: wind came up abit headed in and was dead inside as groper said lack of warm water and no bait fish = no pelagics didnt even try for a king got a feed and had some fun up south west arm wake skating

The biggest flattie I managed was 44cm, not big fish, but I have enough fillets for a couple of feeds.

As you and Groper stated, no surface activity and no birds working the surface anywhere. The only birds I saw were a couple of penguins. I did spook a flying fish early as I was heading out, but only the one. I would have liked to have hooked up to the little mako, but he was only biting at the sinkers!

I was out yesterday, trolled lures and chromes from lilli pilli baths across to and then around gymea bay,nothing. went outside trolled from jibbon south to the balconies and back, nothing. was thinking about going home. one last try shelly to shark island and yes great joy two bonito at shark island.