Illawarra fiishing day

silverbike

hi Raiders,

finally managed to get out for a fish. :yahoo:

I took my OH who is not a fisho at all, so wanted somewhere easy. His choice of location was "somewhere south" :1wallbash: and we didnt leave sydney before 9:30.... :1badmood:

Have not fished the harbour before, my observation is that it is an early morning / early evening spot. Did hook up some small bream & snappers on a rising tide, best bit was seeing a massive ray swim past us - easily 4ft + across....just awesome.

Heard the lake is fishing well but it was wall to wall with holidayers, so went to Minamurra instead.

Run out tide, fast current. On second cast (no weight, 30cm leader and size 12 longshank with prawns) get a big hit, nice bream just under legal. In the next hour and a bit managed to catch 3 nice bream and a blackfish, all just under legal. Lost something much bigger too, but thats how it goes. The OH did not catch anything as he was unable to tell the nibbles from the water movement, but he went swimming and was happy with that.

GO GIRL!! Shame the biggie got off - but, that's fishin'! Good that you were getting regular hits on different species! Don't forget that fresh white bread is a VERY good bream/blackie bait as well ....... I've even caught a flattie with bread, too! And you can eat some whilst you fish! biggrin2.gif

cheers

Roberta

hi Raiders,

finally managed to get out for a fish. :yahoo:

I took my OH who is not a fisho at all, so wanted somewhere easy. His choice of location was "somewhere south" :1wallbash: and we didnt leave sydney before 9:30.... :1badmood:

Have not fished the harbour before, my observation is that it is an early morning / early evening spot. Did hook up some small bream & snappers on a rising tide, best bit was seeing a massive ray swim past us - easily 4ft + across....just awesome.

Heard the lake is fishing well but it was wall to wall with holidayers, so went to Minamurra instead.

Run out tide, fast current. On second cast (no weight, 30cm leader and size 12 longshank with prawns) get a big hit, nice bream just under legal. In the next hour and a bit managed to catch 3 nice bream and a blackfish, all just under legal. Lost something much bigger too, but thats how it goes. The OH did not catch anything as he was unable to tell the nibbles from the water movement, but he went swimming and was happy with that.

Unless you are fishing for garfish or mullet, I would increase the size of the hook a bit, try size 8 or 6. A slightly stronger hook at that size should you get hit by a bigger bream or a flathead.

Yowie.