old split cane flyrod

bombora

Hiya, anyone know any history of Aussie tackle making? Was walking past a local 2nd hand shop yesterday and spotted an old split cane fly rod in the window. Long story short, bought it.

It's a hexagonal split cane flyrod made by Bill Southam. In it's canvas bag. Two piece, 8'6" long. Beautiful writing near the butt is tiny, but slightly larger writing says "The Gem Rod" I think. Funky old guides. The cane is in superb condition and arrow straight. The reel seat looks like the seat in the only photo I could find on the web of a Bill Southam fly rod. Apart from the reel seat, which seems a bit siezed up and I will try some WD40 _ don't wanna force it _ the rod is absolutely fishable.

All I've been able to find is that Bill Southam was a gun angler and caster and made rods (including game rods) out of Lane Cove in Sydney and that Zane Grey (!!) is said to have used and admired them in his famed NZ flyfishing adventures in the 1930s(?). I'd love to know more about the rod. Paid $70 for it but making a buck is not the issue.

many years ago i had my dads dad 3 peace can rod restored it was also a blackfish rod and was made by the person you mentioned it now hangs on the wall in his office worth to much in memorys to use i'd be very hesitant to use your rod as the cane could be very britel congrates on the purchase you now own a peace off australian history worth more than 70 bucks i would think i also have a one peace beach rod in hex cane and original condition except for the top eye

cheers gary

Bombora,

WM Southam were a famous tackle makers based in Artarmon famed for making big rods thru to fly rods also made lures, his split canes were works of art. If the rod is in good condition then it will be worth a bit more than the $70 you paid for it, but seeing the revvial of cane I would be inclined to have a fish with it as long as the cane has no splits or cracks only problem is they get a bit heavy to cast all day! Incidently he also made up glass rods I have a Sportex 3904 made by Southams in 1974.

Gary, contrary to belief cane does not get brittle as it is baked prior to splitting to dry it out and then glued what happens is the animal glues used in the days of old end up breaking down and become hard and this is when the cane pieces seperate hence the many decrotive whippings to act as security, on the other hand modern glues and cane rods are made to last as lonfg as graphite rods and properly cured tonkin cane is second in modulus strenght only to graphite. If a rod splits a good cane rod maker can actualy re split the blank clean it up and re glue the rod.

Cheers

Royce.

Edited by luderick -angler

Thanks guys. Good info. The cane is in remarkable condition I think. No sign of splitting, dead straight. I've had a little go in the past at blokes who buy beautiful old surfboards and make em wall hangers rather than ride em, and I don't flyfish (yet) so am thinking of offering it to someone who'd fish with it, or at the very least a mad-keen fly fisher who'd apprecieate it as a wall hanger more than me! Will have a think.