Daytime Bass?

Richie

I'm thinking of heading out to Yarramundi this weekend to chase after some bass on my kayak. I can only get access to the car after 10:30am and have to have it back by 6. This is a situation I face most weekends.

Do bass still strike on the surface during the high sun? Is there anything I can do to be increase my chances?

Cheers,

-Rich.

Hi Rich

You will really struggle to get a surface bite during the middle of the day

Best daylight times are a couple of hours after sunrise and before sunset

The best surface fishing for bass is at night time

In some cases when the barometer is beaming on skinny water with overcast days and heaps of shaded areas from trees you will get a surface bite all day.

Edited by Heath R

Like the others have said the surface bite will be tough in the middle of the day, at the moment I'm struggling to catch a fish of the surface after 8am but under the right conditions they will bite all day. Cicada type lures will work well.

you will come across surface activity but it will be alot of casting, you would be better off using chubbies pref deep diver, double clutches, anything that gets down 1.5m+, and of coarse go for the shade watch the wind see which way its blowing the insects across the surface. hope this helps

you will come across surface activity but it will be alot of casting, go for the shade watch the wind see which way its blowing the insects across the surface. hope this helps

Have to agree i fish with surface during the day ,yes it is harder, but keep the lure longer in the strike zone & they will strike eventually

Guest hawkesbass

Here is a photo of a daytime bass taken around three in the arvo casting into snags in the shade lure is a soft shell cicada imatation

7b628511-3320-932d.jpg

Not the biggest bass but still picked it off the surface

hey mate they Definately bite through the day. I was even out at yarramundi last week and pulled about 25 fish through the day, just throw a diver on and you'll be fine. mine dived to about 1.2M but I don't think it even would have got that deep though. if you get it right in the snag they tend to smash it the second it starts swimming anyway, either that or the second it hits the water, so just get it right in there and hold on tight :)