Polishing Fiberglass Boats

bullfrog

Hi everyone,

I vaguely remember a discussion on these boards a while ago about what sort of polishes can be used on fiberglass boats.

Certain types of polishes were a definate no-no because they contained ingredients that reacted with the fiberglass. I think that the main enemy was silicone but am not sure. :(

I've done a search but can't find the thread, can anyone offer any thoughts as to what types of polish should be avoided?

Cheers,

I've actually got plenty of polish but a mate of mine has just purchased one of those 'dry wash & polish' franchises (not the one which has been heavily advertised on Sydney radio), and he wants to do my boat as a test.

I'm happy to have it done, (could be good extra revenue outlet for him if it works),but I want to make sure the chemicals won't damage my boat - or any future clients of his! That's why I keen to find out what not to use.

Guest Jocool
just purchased one of those 'dry wash & polish' franchises (not the one which has been heavily advertised on Sydney radio), and he wants to do my boat as a test.

54501[/snapback]

Head Office should be able to tell him! I'm sure they would have a technical arm!

Guest hottuna
Be careful with those electric polishing wheels, If you spin it too fast and the polishing compound gets hot, it has the ablity to burn the glass.

Chris

54526[/snapback]

there called a "buff" and as long as you not using an old grinder as a buff which is too fast and as aero stated will burn the glass. I buff my boat every 6months as its left outside. I bought my polish from bias but cant` remember the name..sorry.

Comming from a panel beating background i have used automotive polishes and they work great. Buffed a fair few cars, boats and jetties in my time. Never had one react with the gelcoat.

Dan

dan