Weirdest thing I ever caught

BigMik

Went for a fish on the harbor today along with the other 10000 fishos got some fresh bait tried all the spots for a kingy the the rod bent over line ran off and I pulled in a SEA TURTLE got some pics and let her go on her way.

A mate of mine jagged a 1m+ loggerhead over in WA on a marlin lure.... Fought it for over an hour on 24 kg standup trying to save his lure.... The turtle won, i don't think it even knew it was hooked....

Cheers,

Singers.

Edited by Singers

Hooked one in Port Hacking some years ago. Had just wound on 500 yards of line onto a handcaster the day before, the turtle took off the 500 yards without stopping, so I just hung on at the end and the line broke at the hook luckily.

hooked one at woody head,illuka many years ago,on my 14ft wilson with a 500 alvey and 30lb mono,was using a bottom rig for a snapper,it must have swum in to the line on the bottom,i felt the bump,struck and hooked it at base of left front flipper,for first 15 minutes i reckoned i was into the biggest snapper in the pacific,then it surfaced and it was at least 5ft from head to tail,i don't recall how many times it tried to head to nz,but when it would get far enough away i could swing it around in a big half circle and bring it back to me in the hope i could beach it and remove the hook as it was a big stainless with a wire trace,every time it felt the bottom it powered up again and headed out to sea,eventually and fortunately the crimp at the hook end of the trace slipped and the turtle went on it way.in 2003 i hooked a seal (rephase,a seal took my lure in the mouth,it was hooked on the out side of its teeth in the whiskers) on a 4oz slice with a large treble on it when fishing for quinnat salmon in nz in the ocean,again i wish to remove the hooks so it has a chance of a safe recovery,3 kilometres later down the beach it starts to tire and i was trying to work it gently in throught the shore break when the backwash tore it off the hooks,luckily for me,i was not looking forward to cutting the hooks out,they have a set of teeth like a wolf.the responsibilities of fishing,fishkiller.