Three days in gorge country nepean river

Guest hawkesbass

Guest hawkesbass

Me and a mate decided to try to find some new bass grounds besides our usual spots we fish i rang a old boss of mine whoes property backs onto the nepean river and he allowed us to launch the tinnie from there we made a makeshift ramp on the bank and put the boat in on thursday around 11am and set out to explore our new grounds the sounder was showing depths ranging from 3 ft to 20ft on the new section to us which had plenty of boulders of all sizes jutting up from the bottom with laydowns of fallen timber on both banks and in the middle of the river which was 50ft at its widest and 15 ft at its narrowest we could travel about 4 ks off river untill it got two narrow for the tinnie to get through.the fishing on friday was good as we used hard bodies in deep divers/suspending/shallow divers to scout around after about 5 casts my mate keith hooks onto the biggest bass of the trip on a jackall after a hard fight around the fallen timber a bass of 40cms is landed after a quick photo and measure the bass was released.

Then it was my turn to hook up on a rapala ultrashad 04 casted around the back edge of a boulder just below the surface after a short fight the fish was landed measured and released came in at 35cms

Thursday went like this with us going almost fish for fish and we were looking forward to a surface after dark but unfortunately a storm came through to spoil our plans our tally for thursday was 35 fish between the two of us biggest being 40cms and the smallest being 15cms. friday we went upstream as the wind was pushing against the current allowing us to slowly drift past the structure and cast lures around but it was tough fishing and after being fish less for a hour on the hard bodies we decided to rig up the plastics with us going to a worm immatation and pot holeing around boulders and laydowns which worked well with some good bass caught on the day

We waited for the surface bite on friday night but only got a few hits and no hookups.we returned on saturday with us confident of getting amongst the bass again and it did not dissapoint with fish caught on hard bodies and the plastics again.

On saturday we ended up with 25 bass caught all fish released to live another day water temp was 24-26 degrees across all three days photos to follow

Cheers trevor

Guest hawkesbass

madventure,

looks like good fun, did yous stay out overnight at all?

no we returned to my place each day but where we were there was places along the bank to roll out a swag and to cook up food