Lake Macquarie

Aussieweekender

flatty whiting and bream is your best bet for a decent feed. Lake has a lot of traffic in the holidays but put in the time on the tides & move around until you find the fish. plenty of whiting around channel entrance.... the lake is so big you got to explore though, until you hit them.

I fish the southern end of the lake and have been scoring some nice bream around the weed beds with some whiting to add for good measure all on lures. Awesome fun.

Enjoy the lake.

Fishing Salts Bay is as good as anywhere. It's on the ocean side of the Swansea Bridge on the Southern bank. You go right out to the last breakwall then turn back in going around the exposed rocks with the big lead markers on them. It's only shallow water but if you burley up with a mix of bread, pollard (chook pellets), fish oil and smashed pillies and use cubed pillies and good prawns for bait, you will catch bream and trevally. I've had the fish eating the burley at the back of the boat and we could see them taking our bait while boats around us without burley were catching nothing. It is also worth throwing a whole pilly out on gang hooks as well as there are tailer, kings and other surface fish. Lure fishing produces bream and flatties in there as well.

Most people who fish the lake know about the dropover which is where the shallow sand drops into deep water at the upstream end of the channel.

Good luck.

I've caught them on the western end of Pulbah, accidently I must say, and I've seen a guy drifting over the artificial ball reefs that run from Murrays Beach out towards the Island trying for them. I spoke to him and he had a few. GPS marks are easy to find online.

The kids used to get buckets of them at night from the wharves at Pelican when my dad was in the Coastal Patrol.

Probably a pretty closely guarded secret where the good productive areas are.