bait shops

bignev

don't know how true it is but today i heard that all bait shops or anyone selling bait is going to be hit with a $3000-00 licence to sell bait is it true

How reliable was the source . An official announcement or a comment from someone.

If correct , they may be able to identify tackle / bait stores who sell frozen , fresh & live bait but other places also sell product that can be used as bait.

EG I buy most of my bait from a large fish store at Bankstown. This includes school prawns , yakka , slimies etc.

As far as the store is concerned I'm purchasing product to eat so unlikely they will be efected.

Geoff

a mate of mine was talking to the dive shop down at windang who was told by the bait shop owner next door but i dont know how true it is as i said i was just wondering if anyone else had heard about it

don't know how true it is but today i heard that all bait shops or anyone selling bait is going to be hit with a $3000-00 licence to sell bait is it true

Apart from the usual money grab most likely by a government, what could possible be the rationale for such a scheme???

Sounds fishy...

Musty

Guys,

Well it is true an official letter is floating around that indicates if you (a commercial fisher or are a Bait or/& Tackle shop) wish to buy & sell fish under the Fisheries Management Act and regulations then you need to have a Registered Fish Receivers RFR or a Restricted RFR, seems we need to reduce the black marketing of bait species.

Looking at the FM Act & Regs it refers to fish, with no reference of bait ‘fresh or frozen’ seems this is one of those black holes that rules and regulations leave open to common sense, however when it comes to live worms, nippers and other fish, or specialty recreational baits it raises further problems, for the licenced commercial fisher as well as B&T shops acquiring such bait for resale to the public.

So now that all this information is known, and the growing concerns of tackle shops (thanks Bruce & Jack) we will see how such circumstances can achieve an outcome that delivers the objectives of local small businesses providing a service to anglers, the public, and fisheries compliance in the future.

On the issue of where you get your bait from, make sure you don’t use (bait or burley with) any UNCOOKED IMPORTED fish/prawns products, sold by fish mongers for human consumption, as these may contain diseases that will impact our wild caught fisheries in the future.

More to come obviously!

On the issue of where you get your bait from, make sure you don’t use (bait or burley with) any UNCOOKED IMPORTED fish/prawns products, sold by fish mongers for human consumption, as these may contain diseases that will impact our wild caught fisheries in the future.

Very good point there