Thompsons Creek Dam - 2012

Hello Fellow Raiders,

In some 25 plus years of Trout fishing, In the UK & Australia, I can honestly say that the quality of fish that I have experienced at TCD is no1 on my list.

I have been fishing TCD for a little over three years now, week in week out, and if you've fished there, you'll understand why I make the 5 hour round trip every week.

It has taken plenty of hours on the dam, trying to catch the mighty Trout to realize, that as with all waters, TCD can seem very hit & miss, tempremental if you will.

In reality, it has been just a case of learning what works, and sticking with it.

I looooove fly fishing, it is what got me hooked on trout in the first place. Thinking back to last year, when I hooked a 5.5LB Hen Rainbow at TCD on a submerged nymph, it was the most impressive fight I have ever had from a Trout.

It was the first and only fish to date, in some 25 years I might add, that has taken me to the backing line, three times!!!

post-21553-061821500 1326152763_thumb.jpg

5.5LB Beauty safely returned to fight another day.

My Dad, whom was fishing for wild trout as a boy back in the UK, said to me about a year ago now, "why not take a spinning/lure rod with you next time"...So I did.

To be honest, I take the fly rod every time, I even carry it around with me on my back, but very rarely take it out these days.

Spinning lures, suidgys, wobbler spoons and the like, if fished properly seem to stir the Trout at TCD into a frenzy.

I have a new fly rod & reel that I am yet to catch on lol...Maybe next time it will come through for me.

On reflection, I looooovvvveeeee catching trout on a fly rod, it has been my passion for a long long time, but I am becoming to looooovvveeeee lure fishing these days too!

Here is my first Brownie of the new year, a beauty weighing in at 3.5KG. Returned safely to the water.

post-21553-097820300 1326153234_thumb.png

It has been in my thoughts for some time now, that TCD holds some HUGE Trout, possibly bigger than you could imagine. I'm talking 20LB plus.

Until my trip last week, I had no proof. I was fishing with a lure, working it back to the bank, when I had the slightest of takes, I even thought it was weed. I looked into the crystal clear water to see my lure coming in, when at around 2 metres out I saw a monster dark Trout following my lure. It looked BIG, and I've come to realize that if it looks big in the water, then its gonna be huge out of the water.

At around a little over a metre of water left to retrieve in, the Trout turned, and swam back out into the depths. It looked like a really dark, gnarly Brown Trout!

Woooh! I'am a believer, TCD holds a possible NSW record Trout!

Edited by foolforjesus

Hello Fellow Raiders,

In some 25 plus years of Trout fishing, In the UK & Australia, I can honestly say that the quality of fish that I have experienced at TCD is no1 on my list.

I have been fishing TCD for a little over three years now, week in week out, and if you've fished there, you'll understand why I make the 5 hour round trip every week.

It has taken plenty of hours on the dam, trying to catch the mighty Trout to realize, that as with all waters, TCD can seem very hit & miss, tempremental if you will.

In reality, it has been just a case of learning what works, and sticking with it.

I looooove fly fishing, it is what got me hooked on trout in the first place. Thinking back to last year, when I hooked a 5.5LB Hen Rainbow at TCD on a submerged nymph, it was the most impressive fight I have ever had from a Trout.

It was the first and only fish to date, in some 25 years I might add, that has taken me to the backing line, three times!!!

post-21553-061821500 1326152763_thumb.jpg

5.5LB Beauty safely returned to fight another day.

My Dad, whom was fishing for wild trout as a boy back in the UK, said to me about a year ago now, "why not take a spinning/lure rod with you next time"...So I did.

To be honest, I take the fly rod every time, I even carry it around with me on my back, but very rarely take it out these days.

Spinning lures, suidgys, wobbler spoons and the like, if fished properly seem to stir the Trout at TCD into a frenzy.

I have a new fly rod & reel that I am yet to catch on lol...Maybe next time it will come through for me.

On reflection, I looooovvvveeeee catching trout on a fly rod, it has been my passion for a long long time, but I am becoming to looooovvveeeee lure fishing these days too!

Here is my first Brownie of the new year, a beauty weighing in at 3.5KG. Returned safely to the water.

post-21553-097820300 1326153234_thumb.png

It has been in my thoughts for some time now, that TCD holds some HUGE Trout, possibly bigger than you could imagine. I'm talking 20LB plus.

Until my trip last week, I had no proof. I was fishing with a lure, working it back to the bank, when I had the slightest of takes, I even thought it was weed. I looked into the crystal clear water to see my lure coming in, when at around 2 metres out I saw a monster dark Trout following my lure. It looked BIG, and I've come to realize that if it looks big in the water, then its gonna be huge out of the water.

At around a little over a metre of water left to retrieve in, the Trout turned, and swam back out into the depths. It looked like a really dark, knarley Brown Trout!

Woooh! Iam a believer, TCD holds a possible NSW record Trout!

Nice fish, and welcome to fishraider.

Regards Caddis

Thanks Caddis, Thanks Geoff biggrin2.gif

You know, as much as I love catching Trout on a lure rod, nothing really compares to how connected you feel when striking into and playing a trout on a fly rod!

Man, I hope I catch my first Trout on the new fly rod next trip!

post-21553-032220900 1326193966_thumb.jpg

The first rainbow I ever caught at Thommo's!

Edited by foolforjesus

Thanks Luderick - Angler thumbup.gif

Yes your right, there is so much food on offer at TCD, I think unless you present your fly / lure in such a way, they won't bat an eyelid so to speak lol.

The fish that had a slight crack at my lure last week, but didn't connect, was huge, so yes, there are certainly some thumpers in there.

I think i'm going to give the fly rod a good go next trip, maybe get deep down with a sinking line.

Take care, Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I love thompsons creek dam its one of my favorite places. Here's my first brown I caught there a couple of days before new years. Was well over 60cm but unfortunately didn't get a weight on him. I reckon it was at least 8lbs. :)3aa02839-509b-c8b4.jpg