12 mile - marlin (swiping)

The President

Lazy start today, still on holidays. Weather looked to good to pass up. 8am at Long Reef for kingy's - not much doing. Decided to try 12 mile again since landing a marlin there on Saturday. Arrived there about 11am and set the lures. About 30 minutes later, when very close to mark we got the fish on Saturday a Stripe marlin come up behind the short rigger (a Pakula Lumo Sprocket - largest lure we had out) and swiped it several times with its bill then went to long corner (Pakula mouse) and swiped it twice before disappearing. Worked the area for another two hours for zip. Asking the question, apart from accelerating to incite the fish are there any other tactics I could have used ?

Thanks, The President.

Edited by The President

Hi mate,

Good going on the beakster..

Yeah swipers, they are annoying......If you are working a particular area (sounded like you were) the I would have had a skip bait at the ready or alreadt deployed into the spread.

You can run skip baits and lures together...just gotta slow down a touch.:)

I reckon that Stripe would have eaten....

Cheers mate,

Wacko.

Yeah I go along with the skipbait idea. If Im targetting stripes I take the hooks out and run the lures as teasers and switch them to a bait at the boat. Sick of watching them mess around with a hook-filled lure. Its amazing how much more keen they are on a lure without spikes in it. Only problem is you will miss all the other by-catch like dollies and such.

G'day,

Mate you did better than us yesterday as you at least had some interest from a beakie. We were at 12 mile in the white triumph CC and all we raised was a striped tuna. Gave up and headed over to long reef and bottom bashed for a nice bag of flatties and morwong.

I think wacko's advice sounded like a good alternate technique.

Mike